SHOW: Before and After Shots

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
Real Name
Clint
I didn't notice anywhere on the forum a section that shows before and after examples.

For example I royally screwed up the exposure on this shot, but instead of deleting it, I tried to squeeze as much dynamic range out the file in LR5. I'm quite happy with the results. Please feel free to share some of your examples.

EM162816-20141206-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EM162816-20141206.jpg

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
Great idea for a thread! I'm working on learning Lightroom, and seeing examples of what other people do with it would be very helpful.

ahinesdesign

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
Awesome idea for a thread! I've got a couple of extreme examples of fixing exposure in post that I'll post later this evening...

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
I didn't notice anywhere on the forum a section that shows before and after examples.

For example I royally screwed up the exposure on this shot…

Good idea for a thread.

BUT I don't think you screwed up the exposure, I think you got it right. There's a very wide dynamic range in that scene and the highlights are in the sky. You exposed quite well for the highlights and I think you would have started to lose detail in the brightest parts of the clouds if you had given it any more exposure. There's a lot you can bring up out of the shadows with Lightroom and that worked very well here. The "after" is very nice but I think it wouldn't look as nice if you'd exposed more for the beach and clipped the highlights in those clouds as a result.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
^^ WOW! Nicely done! I'll try to remember to convert to B&W next time I manage to overexpose too much... :2thumbs:

ahinesdesign

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
Missed correct exposure by a long shot on this one. Shot on G5 with Rokinon fisheye, f/22 (!!) to get a longer exposure. Work in post included fixing exposure, white balance, color correction, gradient filters, cloning out tripod leg in lower left corner, distortion correction...

15974065806_c7efa3901c_b.jpg
Before by aaronhines, on Flickr

14611577720_9ed9536289_b.jpg
After (Smith River at Dusk) by aaronhines, on Flickr

HazyOmega

Mu-43 Rookie
My first try at shooting sunrise when I was at the Grand Canyon. I think using the RAW file with a bit of thinkering in LR5 did a pretty decent job at recovering the shoot. I did a print 4x6 and it look pretty good.

Before; Straigh OOC JPEG
15381134213_51785a5c8d_b.jpg
P9290969 by HazyOmega, on Flickr

After; RAW process in LR5
15381135373_75fe88fd9f_b.jpg
P9290969-T-4x6 by HazyOmega, on Flickr

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
OK, to add to the bright skies/dark everything else theme and why I don't consider it bad exposure practice.

Before:

B050002.jpg

I regularly go for a very early morning walk and take the camera, and I often end up shooting interesting cloud formations which are underlit by the rising sun. In this case the sun was just below the horizon. I exposed for the brightest cloud area using the E-M1's spot highlight mode because I wanted to keep the delicacy of the wispiest clouds. The foreground was in shadow because the sun is still just below the horizon. In real life the foreground looked a lot brighter than in the file as it came from the camera, it was actually quite nice, even light, but the difference in brightness between sky and foreground was far greater than the sensor could handle.

After:

B050002-2.jpg

I have to say at the outset that the foreground here still appears darker than it did at the time, and so does the sky but I find myself losing highlight detail I want when I try to make things brighter in either area so this is my compromise solution.

What I did in Lightroom:

First I increased exposure to +1 which still left the foreground too dark but also started losing too much detail in the sky. To bring the detail back in the sky I reduced highlights to -23. I often reduce contrast as well with clouds but I didn't here. I raised the shadows to +38 and reduced the blacks to -25 in order to avoid the darker tones looking too washed out. The foreground was still way too dark so I used a graduated filter across a very narrow band just below the lowest part of the sky so it raised the exposure in the foreground very rapidly by a further 1.22 of a stop and also raised the shadows slightly, I added a very small amount of clarity in the basic panel (+7) but didn't push that further because it starts to look very artificial very fast in these conditions and did a very minor curves adjustment to lower the brightness of the darker parts of the sunlit clouds. Then some very gentle sharpening and noise reduction. Go pixel peeping in the shadows and you will still find some noise.

Did I get the exposure wrong? I probably could have given it a third of a stop more exposure, maybe half a stop at most, but I don't think that would have made a significant difference to the result. The brightest tones where the sun is rising are just short of clipping in both the before and after and I didn't want that area to tip over into clipping and start to wash out. I think this scene really is fairly close to the limits of what the sensor can capture in terms of dynamic range and I do think I wouldn't have got the cloud tones, which is what I wanted, if I'd given much more in the way of exposure.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Generally speaking, isn't it the case when shooting raw that you should focus on keeping the skies just right so the underexposed parts of the image can be pulled back in post processing? On that basis, it really is hard to see anything wrong with most of the raw files posted so far.

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
Real Name
Clint
Here's another...geeze, I should just put the camera away moment because the backlighting is horrendous, that turned into a, I'm glad I pulled the camera out to capture this moment.

After:
PM210156-20140701-XL.jpg

Before:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 4.15.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 4.15.21 PM.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 950

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
This was taken when all three of my dogs were alive & since the one on the left is no longer with us it was important to have this one photo of them posing so well to be recovered from the overexposed shot.

Before
O1231412-s.jpg

After (using Capture One 8)
O1231412_CaOn_adj_healed-Final-s.jpg

lowlight

Mu-43 Regular
EM5 With the 12-50 and a 10 stop ND

15387700924_f9813bfdf7_c.jpg
P7163461 by Jorgennor, on Flickr

Removed som lense flare in photoshop
Adjusted the horizon in Lightroom
Adjusted the exposure in Lightroom
Added Graduated filter in Lightroom
Some exposure brushed in Lightroom
Added some clarity in Lightroom

16009958935_641867c534_c.jpg
P7163462-Edit by Jorgennor, on Flickr

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
CRW_0453-orig.jpg

After
CRW_0453.jpg

Gotta love raw :)

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
I have a LONG ways to go
here is a 10 min Photoshop Elements 8 quickie
c and c welcome

P7200062_zps507e98c7.jpg

HawkEdit_zps0d194535.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom