7" vs 10" tablet for culling photos and minor edits

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
Hi, been reading with interest the threads about editing on tablets. I'm thinking of picking one up in the near future, but can't decide between 7" and 10" (choice of iOS or Android will probably follow, as the apps I want are available on each). Anyone have any experience with using each or either, my main concern is whether 7" is "bigger" enough than the camera LCD to make viewing/culling shots and minor PP easier?

Pennington

Mu-43 Regular
I have an Acer Iconia tablet with a 7" screen - I haven't tried doing any photo work on it, largely because I don't think it's really big enough to be effective. My fiancee has a iPad with a 10" screen and I think it's sized much better for photo work.

However, there are other issues at hand that keep me at an actual computer vs. a tablet for photo work, even just sorting and reviewing. The first being how to get the photos onto the tablet in the first place, and viewing them without maxing out the tablet's memory. I assume that I'd need some kind of external drive for that to really work best, but haven't investigated how said drive would connect to the tablet.

Maybe not the best answer... I'm one of those people who thinks that tablets are the future of computing, but that we're still 3-5 years away from the ideal point, where they become fully capable. Right now they're still best, IMO, for emails, net browsing, games, etc.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
We have both the iPad mini and the regular sized iPad. The iPad mini is too small, IMHO, to work with photos. Plus the regular iPad has a retina display. You can get an iPad with 128GB so you can store a lot of pics on it. I use iPhoto to organize pics and Snapseed to edit. As nice as the iPad set-up is, it is a mobile tool to go along with, not replace, my iMac with Aperture/PhotoShop.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
Thanks for the replies so far, I should have clarified it would be for organising and backing up JPGs while travelling, before syncing back to Aperture on desktop, so massive storage isn't needed. So far it seems that 10" is definitely preferred for working with photos.

I'd be specifically thinking of Google Nexus 7 (2013) vs iPad 4, both at "retina" res, i.e. >300dpi.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
If you are using Aperture, iPhoto on the iPad, works really well with Aperture if share the library. And, PhotoStream is nice as you know that your pics are already back-up. Apple's products work well together.

nathan_h

Mu-43 Regular
Biggest problem with the ipad is that if you shoot RAW+JPG you don't get the option to just import the JPG. You have to waste a bunch of space on the RAW since they are automatically imported.

People have some workarounds, such as shooting only on a wifi SD card and using that to import the JPGs, but then you are limited to slow and glitchy transfers and the cards are small and expensive.

aukirk

Mu-43 Veteran
I am going to have to research further about how Aperture works together with iPhoto for iPad? I have really wanted to find a solution where I can go through the images on the iPad to "reject" images and flag ones that need more detailed edits... also probably could do minor edits like cropping. However, the last time I researched this, the solutions all involved downloading images from the camera onto the iPad and then downloading them again to get them back to Aperture. It would be fantastic if you could download photos from the camera into Aperture with a referenced master and then have iPhoto on the iPad pull from the same referenced master on a network drive or something.

I also haven't researched how the new wifi capabilities of the newer cameras work, but I have been thinking that would be a good way to scroll through the images that are on the camera and delete photos before ever importing into Aperture. Not sure if minor edits can be made.

Anyone have any links to a good "how to" workflow for using the iPad and Aperture? Otherwise, I guess I am off to google to search...

aukirk

Mu-43 Veteran
Update... from my quick search, it still does not appear possible to sync seemlessly through Aperture and iPhoto for iPad:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3795051?start=0&tstart=0

This post on that thread really summarizes the only types of functions I would be looking for:

Frederic Nitschke
Re: The New iPad™ and iPhoto: will they play nicely with Aperture
Mar 20, 2012 7:35 PM (in response to Frederic Nitschke)
I just wanted to highlight this very, very basic functionality gap one more time - because it would be really nice if Apple could respond to this positively:

1) The ability to rate your RAW photos, label them, attach keywords to them, and sort them into folders
2) The ability to sync this information back into Aperture
3) The ability to sync several Aperture libraries
4) Totally optional but good too: able to crop and turn images

That's it - that's all what is currently needed and which does make sense given the nature of an iPad.

We don't need any sliders to wrang around, no need for these non-sense saturation/contrast/colour adjustment sliders that do not work properly anyway, and which no professional would actually consider unless he or she is in a hurry...

Yes, really... just rating, sorting and syncing...

Hope that's not too much to ask from the top Technology company of 2012.

nathan_h

Mu-43 Regular
I believe there are a couple of applications for the iPad that let you do that culling and sync with Lightroom. I didn't read them closely enough to know if they do what you want with Aperture but I seem to recall at least one of them might.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
I have both large and small iPads and both Galaxy Notes (8 and 10.1 inch). The larger screens are definitely better for editing, regardless of platform.

On the iPad there's Photosmith that talks to Lightroom. There's nothing I know of that works like that for Aperture. Maybe something like Filterstorms ratings will transfer with the exif. On Android Photoshop Touch works well and is optimised for use with the Wacom stylus in the notes. The retina display thing doesn't make much difference to me. Yes I can see a difference but when zooming in to work on a smaller part of an image I can zoom in more on the lower res displays. I can only tell the difference if I put the retina and non retina side by side.

Mostly I use my Note 10.1 with Photoshop touch and Snapseed as my preferred editing platform. I would love to see Photosmith on Android.

Gordon

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
aukirk,

I use managed files, not referenced files, and they are easy to move between iPhoto and Aperture through a shared library. If I was using referenced files I would probably use Dropbox instead.

- David

Trankster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael
I used a 7" Android tablet (Nexus 7) this summer shooting jpg and it worked fine. I was limited to 16gb which I filled pretty quickly. I used Pixlr Express and Snapseed for editing. I also preferred Quickpic to the standard Android Gallery app. I recently upgraded to a Samsung Tab 3 8.0 with a 64gb SD card which I will take to Europe in the fall. I prefer the smaller tablet for its portability, and the 8" seems about right.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

Real Name
Andrew L
I use a Nexus 7 and it's probably the only Android tablet I'd recommend (other than the Nexus 10), it's straight Android without any filler from 3rd parties, and the screen even on the old one is pretty good. I find the colors (on the aforementioned 1st gen) to be very neutral, but a little flat. Flat is okay, though, when you know your color rendition isn't terribly far off from reality, I just figure on other screens they will pop a bit more.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
Thanks all, definitely some food for thought there. I am leaning towards the Nexus 7, because of size and expected occasional use for photos, it definitely will not be my main machine for storing and editing. The price is also very attractive for what looks like a very competent device. Good to hear the screen is good, also.

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
To help decide,
1) Big screen is better for working.
2) Small screen is better for transporting.
Working indoors or carry a big camera bag = Big screen is OK
On the move and have a small camera bag = Small screen is better.

Trankster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael
For the Nexus 7 you will need Nexus Media Importer app, a card reader and an OTG cable. I strongly recommend the 32gb model over the 16.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
For the price, I'm going to suggest a MS Surface Pro instead. You can hook it up directly to a USB hard drive and card reader and just run Lightroom directly.

Btw, I have 4 iPads and an Samsung Galaxy tab in the family, so it's not like I haven't checked out what's available.

Photosmith + Lightroom does work, but you have to go thru a PC/Mac first anyhow, not a on-the-go solution. I've tried it.

If you want to stick with Apple, I suggest a MacBook Air instead.

sam_nl

Mu-43 Rookie
I went for portability and cheap... Bought a Novo 7 Flame that has an IPS screen and internal memory card reader.
It's nice for viewing photos taken during longer trips. I always view the jpg and delete jpg+raw of pictures that are not up to standard.
Editing is kind of useless compared to working on a pc with calibrated monitor.

Sent from my LT26i using Mu-43 mobile app

kjun

Mu-43 Rookie
I second the Nexus 7 as a backup/viewing platform for photos

I also use a Nexus 7 (Full HD 2013 model) and the Nexus 7 Media Importer App, a card reader, an HD, and an OTG cable. I copy photos, movies or whatever I wish between a small bus powered 500 gig HD and the Nexus 7 in both directions. I use the Nexus 7 as a backup while on extended vacations. I tried my wife's iPad and while the photos looked beautiful on the iPad, as was mentioned in an earlier thread, the iPad imports ALL files on the SD card, RAW as well as JPEG, movies and that quickly fills up a 32gb iPad. Also, you can't rename the files you've imported into the iPad or put them into a user designated folder (I'm speaking here of the iPad not tethered to a computer and no iCloud access). When I travel, I don't have a laptop with me and often no internet connection for long intervals so the Nexus 7 works perfectly as an independent viewing platform and backup system for the photos I take on vacation. The Nexus 7 Full HD screen is just beautiful and the photos look great. Note that I don't do any RAW conversion with the Nexus (though Apps are available for that), that waits until I return home.
Here's what the Nexus looks like with the HD attached.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I used a 7" Android tablet (Nexus 7) this summer shooting jpg and it worked fine. I was limited to 16gb which I filled pretty quickly. I used Pixlr Express and Snapseed for editing. I also preferred Quickpic to the standard Android Gallery app. I recently upgraded to a Samsung Tab 3 8.0 with a 64gb SD card which I will take to Europe in the fall. I prefer the smaller tablet for its portability, and the 8" seems about right.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• Nexus 7 FHD Tablet with 500 gig HD attached.jpg
    Nexus 7 FHD Tablet with 500 gig HD attached.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 281

nathan_h

Mu-43 Regular
Oh my, you guys are on the road to lightening my wallet. I have an "extra" 500GB sata laptop drove in a bus powered case.

I was going to buy the hyperdrive UDMA case, for $250 and plunk the drive in it.

But for $250 I now realize I could essentially by a Nexus 7 and a OTG usb cable and a card reader.... and not only have most of the functionality of the hyperdrive, but also have basic editing and all the other tablet options! Heck, I might even be able to leave my ipad at home, lightening my load even more.

Urggh!

Latest threads

Top Bottom