1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

7.5mm fisheye or Olympus 9-18mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jamaxt, May 5, 2012.

1. jamaxt

jamaxt Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2012
    Miami, Fl
    Jakob
    Hi,

I'm currently looking for something more wide-angle on my Panasonic GF1. I own both the Panasonic 14mm 2.5 and 20mm 1.7 and the Olympus 45mm 1.8. However, in a lot of situations 14mm isn't wide enough. For a long time I was set on getting the Olympus 9-18mm because of its size and the fact that - being a zoom lens - it's more versatile. However, I really like using primes and thought that maybe the Samyang/Bower 7.5mm fisheye could be a good addition to my other lenses. While I dont mind the fisheye effect in some situations it can get a bit too much at times (especially for some "serious" architecture photography). I was told by a friend that there quite effective ways of "de-fishing" the fisheye photographs using software.

I'm really rather clueless what to do. Maybe someone here has used both or had to decide between the same lenses, as well.

Every help is very much appreciated!

Btw, I'm new here and really like the "atmosphere" of this forum :thumbup:!

Cheers!

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I'll suggest the 9-18 over the fisheye. It's more useful and versatile.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd go for the fisheye only if you're aiming primarily for fisheye shots. De-fishing is nice as an option of last resort, but for regular use it's a pain.

They're both good lenses, it's just that one has a significantly more specialized use.

DH

4. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    i have both.if i had to keep only 1 it would be the 9 - 18 . much more versitile yes ,more money yes.fisheye manual focus. it was recomened to me to get the hood for the 9 - 18. when closed the oly. is about the size of 2 -14mm panys. stacked on each other.the fish is a little shorter. i do like the fish , just look at some of the pics. on this site, but if i could only keep 1.

5. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    I have a pretty similar lens lineup to you (14mm, 30mm, 45mm). I don't like slow lenses so that disqualifies the Olympus 9-18mm, I don't like large lenses so that disqalfies the Panasonic 7-14mm, leaving the Samyang 7.5mm for consideration as my next purchase.

I've used fisheye's for 360 degree panoramics before and I really like the subtle effect of a software called Fisheye Hemi for 'defishing' fisheye images. It creates minimal image degradation towards the edges while mainaining a more pleasing perspective compared to traditional 'defishing' software.

See some of the images in this thread:
    Fisheye [Page 1]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I too have both - the FE tends to give more 'curved' images but de-fishes nicely with Fisheye Hemi from Image trends. The 9-18 also includes some distortion which can be ignored or 'corrected' in PS.

Overall the 9-18 is more useful.

7. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    9-18 is without a doubt my no.1 lens for outdoor & Summer family traveling. Probably my most used lens ever. I don't use hood on it but very often I do use simple rotating 52mm NDG filter, which makes a lot of difference in sunny day in the mountains.

8. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    If you're considering de-fishing and hoping you'll end up with quality photos, you'll do yourself a favor by first perusing this:

Micro 4/3rds Photography: Defished fisheye compared with ultra-wide

Consider how much wider you need than the 14mm, as well, because if it's not much the 12mm is of very, very high optic quality.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jamaxt

jamaxt Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2012
    Miami, Fl
    Jakob
    Thanks for all the input!

This is going to be a tougher choice than I expected it to be. The 12mm unfortunately won't be wide enough for me and is also financially out of my reach. I figured that in the end I would be convinced by the versatility of the Oly 9-18mm anyway. But these "defished" fisheye shots really do look very good - especially since I'm not the biggest pixel-peeper and don't care much about a little loss in resolution. This really adds to the versatility of the fisheye as it could be used for its primary purpose as well as a substitute for a "normal" ultra wide angle. Lack of autofocus is not really a big deal for me. As a downside, the fisheye doesn't accept filters - I use polarizers once in a while. Also I don't know how much I would really use the zoom range offered by the Oly. On my previous camera - a Nikon DX with a Sigma 10-20mm - I rarely left the 10mm.

I wish I could be as lucky as some of you and just buy both lenses :biggrin:

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 3
  11. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    +100 to this. Get the fisheye only if you like fisheye shots... if that's the case, the Rok is a great lens. If you're looking for WA-SWA, get the 7-14 :)

12. jamaxt

jamaxt Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2012
    Miami, Fl
    Jakob
    Unfortunately money is still an issue :biggrin: Though I have to say that instead of spending $ 900 on the Pany I would be more inclined to go for the combo Oly and fisheye - Oly for the non-fisheye shots and the fisheye for the ultra wides.

13. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
  14. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    The thread started by Don Hart is the best advert there could be for the Oly 9-18mm. I also have this lens and am absolutely delighted with it, however I would be even more delighted if I had more than a fraction of Don's ability. :smile:

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/singing-praises-zuiko-9-18mm-25354/

15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Definitely get the m9-18 over the fisheye which offers very limited use and versatility. It's much cheaper price wise than the 7-14, same image quality, and the m9-18 accepts filter that the 7-14 does not, thus allows you the option IR/UV, macro at the long end, plus it's small enough to put in a shirt pocket.

16. jamaxt

jamaxt Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2012
    Miami, Fl
    Jakob
    It's most likely going to be the Olympus 9-18mm then. Most reasonable choice for me considering my budget and needs. I can always save up for the fish eye if I really do want it. The Pany I could always borrow from my dad or brother who both own them, though none of them really wants to share :smile:

Thanks for the help :thumbup:! Will try and find a good priced Olympus on the web!

17. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I have both but if I have to choose one I would go with the 9-18. Although I am mostly using the 12 right now. I say get the 9-18 now, then when christmas comes, get the fisheye. It is so cheap compared to the aps-c fisheyes anyway.

18. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    What about the wide angle filter systems that Panasonic is introducing. They would fit on your 14, turning it in to a fish eye or 11mm for less cost?

19. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    You mean conversion lenses? Those are only ever just being passable a far as optical quality goes (more glass in front of a lens which isn't of the same quality as that in the lens). Nothing beats a true, native focal length for performance, sharpness, and clarity. For me, I don't consider them worth it.

20. arier

arier Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Can't speak to the fisheye, but I love my 9-18. Such a great little lens.