7.5 vs 10mm

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Other than for the occasional night sky shot, my Rokinon 12mm has been gathering a little dust ever since I finally picked up an oly 12-40. I've been considering swapping it out for something wider, like the Laowa 7.5mm or 10mm. Math tells me that the 7.5 would be a better match with it, but I'm having a hard time visualizing. I've seen the charts, but is the difference between 10mm and 12 large enough to make the Laowa 10mm worth it? Part of me worries that 7.5 might actually be TOO wide for my tastes. I don't really have any experience with wider than 12mm.

dwkdnvr

Mu-43 Regular
For what it's worth....
I haven't tried the 7.5 rectilinear lens, but I have had the Samyang 7.5FE a couple times and tried de-fishing for use as a 'normal' UW. I found it too wide for me, workflow issues aside. Personally, I'm very intrigued by the 20/21mm FOV, although I've never tried it looking at samples of the Loxia 21mm on Sony FF got me feeling like it would be about as wide as I might be able to manage.
Having used the 12-100 as my primary lens for a while, 12mm definitely isn't 'wide enough' in a lot of cases, particularly interior. Although having said that, stitching multi-shot panos has generally worked reasonably well for me in landscape scenarios.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
It all comes down to personal taste and shooting style. Here's my ultra-wide journey, everyone else's will be different.

I owned the Laowa 7.5, great lens, sharp, fun to use. Just realize that this really is a specialty lens. For me it just wasn't mounted on the camera enough for me to keep it. One nice thing is that is so small and light that keeping it in your kit all of the time is easy. But in the bag is where mine was most of the time.
I moved on to the Panasonic 7-14. Fantastic lens, very sharp, has auto focus and is more versatile than the Laowa. I used it for two major vacations that I knew that I would be shooting a lot of landscape. It was the perfect lens for the trips I took it on. In daily use though it was just too big to have in the bag all of the time. I don't normally shoot much landscape and found that I wasn't really using the 7MM end of the lens. Most of the time when this lens was mounted I was using it in the 10-14mm range.
Next up the Olympus 9-18. Not as fast or as sharp as ether of the above, but O-man do I love this lens. It's small, the range is fairly versatile, nice fast focus. It is always in the bag or on the camera.

Now more to the original posters question. Do I miss the 7MM ability of the first two lenses? Sometimes. But not enough to cause me to purchase them again. If I was going on another landscape heavy trip I might rent something wider, but probably not. In daily shooting I don't miss them at all. I do want something wider than 12mm though, so if I ever felt I needed something faster or sharper than the Olympus 9-18 I might try the Laowa 10mm. Like many here I am anxious to see the much awaited Olympus 8-25mm f4 PRO. If it is small enough it would be under consideration to replace the 9-18.

Enoch

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Enoch Haven
The Samyang 7.5mm fish-eye is a no-brainer in my book for landscapes and nature. In some canyons I visit this the only thing that gets we wide enough. and at $135 used the price is great. It's sharp too. I don't do architecture much, so rectilinear isn't as much of a need for me.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I agree that the m43 9-18 is a special lens. It is soooo small! I use it on a 2nd body (a Pany GM5) when I travel, with an E-M10.2 (now a E-M5.3) as my main camera, with a PL12-60. So that very arrangement tells you how I feel about the difference between 9 and 12 (and how I got the shots mentioned above in the PDF I linked to).

For NON-travel, I have a PL 8-18. So yeah, if you can afford it, I think one of the larger, wider, and higher-IQ ultra-wide lenses is worthwhile. I do think that there is value in having an 8mm vs a 9. But still, no ultra-wide can touch the 9-18 as a travel lens, IMHO.

I agree that the upcoming (hope!) 8-25 will be very interesting. Hope they don't blow it, size-wise. As @Toddster says, it's got to be fairly small to even think about replacing the 9-18.

laptoprob

Mu-43 Regular
If you can get the Ricoh DW-6, a 0,79x wide converter mounted on the 12-32mm, you've got a beautiful compact ultrawide zoom. Works at the full zoom range, as a 9,5-25mm. I also have the Laowa 7,5mm for architectural documentation work. It is too wide for most landscape situations. You will need a very interesting foreground!

laptoprob

Mu-43 Regular
IMG_20210324_142946.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
PL 8-18 did it for me. I had the 7.5 Samyang and found it too restrictive other than occasional fun shots. The 8-18 is far more usable in that it doesn't need to be defished for every single shot, is autofocus, is faster, and is capable of zooming when you don't need or want the full 8mm. I'm leaving out the obvious advantage of quality and thinking only of usability. The zoom range is the perfect companion to a 12-XX in that the 6mm overlap allows you to leave whichever lens you have mounted on the camera for more diversity, which results in fewer lens changes. I am really looking forward to trying the lens at a car show this year, previously I would use a P 12-60 or PL 15.

So, IMO one of the zooms that offers good overlap and rectilinear technology would be a better choice for your wider shots.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I chose the 9-18 because I wanted AF and couldn't afford the 7-14 options. Since I have both a 12mm prime and the Oly 12-50mm zoom, I use the 9-18 at 9mm most of the time.

Three shots with the 9-18 at 9, 10 and 12mm. At such short focal lengths, every mm matters. Notice how much wider 9mm looks compared to 10mm.

The math says that 12mm only covers 56% of the area that 9mm does, while it covers 69% of the area that 10mm does, for me I wouldn't get a 10mm prime if I already had a 12mm.

_3250014.JPG

_3250015.JPG
_3250016.JPG

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Thanks everyone! While I am still going to stew on this a while, in the meantime I picked up a used Rokinon fisheye. Fisheye isn't really my thing, but at the price it'll be fun to try and let me know if I like the FoV or not. If I don't like it or decide I want something better, I can probably let it go for about what I picked it up for, and the investment wasn't huge (I got it at a popular used gear site for $130). But the comments here have been great.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think the best (or at least the easiest and most effective with ease) "defishing" software is AnglerFish:
http://www.anglerfish.ajotte.com/index.php
Hugin is very popular, but I found it very difficult to use, with a large learning curve. AnglerFish is wonderfully easy and also has plenty of options. It hasn't been updated sonce 2016, which is worrisome, I suppose, but it only costs $20 and doesn't crash or anything, so it seems good.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
Other than for the occasional night sky shot, my Rokinon 12mm has been gathering a little dust ever since I finally picked up an oly 12-40. I've been considering swapping it out for something wider, like the Laowa 7.5mm or 10mm. Math tells me that the 7.5 would be a better match with it, but I'm having a hard time visualizing. I've seen the charts, but is the difference between 10mm and 12 large enough to make the Laowa 10mm worth it? Part of me worries that 7.5 might actually be TOO wide for my tastes. I don't really have any experience with wider than 12mm.
I love the Laowa 7.5. Tack sharp, low distortion. I use it as my Astro lens and for wedding crowds.

m43neil

New to Mu-43
I just picked up the Laowa 7.5mm f2 (silver metal body) locally. I've been playing with the lens since I got it and the center sharpness and resolution is amazing. I haven't used a manual aperture and focus lens in a few years, of course my all mechanical Pentax KX never had magnify or focus peaking which makes focusing with this lens super easy...and hyperfocal focusing unnecessary. The focus ring is oh so smooth and the aperture ring clicks are quiet yet solid. Initially I was worried that a 7.5mm lens would be too wide, the fact that this is a rectilinear lens rather than a fisheye makes it very manageable. Best purchase in a very long time.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have been quite happy using the P14mm in panorama mode or sticking the wide angle converter on it.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Thanks everyone! While I am still going to stew on this a while, in the meantime I picked up a used Rokinon fisheye. Fisheye isn't really my thing, but at the price it'll be fun to try and let me know if I like the FoV or not. If I don't like it or decide I want something better, I can probably let it go for about what I picked it up for, and the investment wasn't huge (I got it at a popular used gear site for $130). But the comments here have been great.
Curious how you're feeling about the Samyang fisheye by now, Neil.

It's a great little lens and an absolutely incredible value, especially if you're buying used. That said, it's one I don't pull out of the bag too often as the fisheye perspective make it a "specialty" lens in my view. I have de-fished a few shots with decent results, but that's time consuming enough that it's not something I want to spend my time doing on a lot of shots.

- K

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have de-fished a few shots with decent results, but that's time consuming enough that it's not something I want to spend my time doing on a lot of shots.

- K
Which program did you use to do that? It's a simple job in Photolab4.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Which program did you use to do that? It's a simple job in Photolab4.
I used Hugin, primarily. I also tried a LR profile that was made for a similar lens, but didn't get results I loved from that.

Granted it was a few years back that I last messed with it and I haven't really looked for simpler/ quicker solutions since. The last couple of years I've only used the Samyang to yield fishy images. I don't have any experience with DXO's products.

- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
To your original question, I stumbled across this video which might help with your decision. Unfortunately I didn't find it as helpful as the title suggests it might be, but you might get something out of it and at least it's short and sweet at under 7 minutes.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom