1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

$7.49/mo Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop CC Subscription (US)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by gpburdell, Jul 10, 2016.

1. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
  2. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    Hmmm I can't tell if this for existing subscribers.

3. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Not easily since you need to create a new adobe account to use it.

4. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I recall people reported issues with an earlier iteration of this offer - Amazon and Adobe systems not communicating well with payments not recorded with Adobe. If you are existing you have to set up a new account and then cancel your old one. It seems that there are easier ways to save $25-30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Has anyone here gotten LR CC through Amazon? If so, were there any issues, with billing or otherwise?

I need to upgrade my LR5 because it doesn't work with RAW files from the e-m5 II. My options are to (1) limp along with LR5 and use the Adobe RAW converter to turn the e-m5 II files into DNG so I can import them; (2) see if Adobe will let me upgrade to LR6, at a one-time cost of $79, but with no updating; or (3) knuckle under to Creative Cloud, at a yearly cost of $120 (probably plus tax) or $90 from Amazon (ditto tax). I'm really, really annoyed at being forced into Creative Cloud, so saving a few bucks if I have to go there is appealing.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Have you read any of the Amazon reviews? There are several that say they had issues with Adobe and Amazon not communicating payment info, so they temporarily lost access to their software, as well as Adobe and Amazon blaming each other for the issues. I've been a photography CC member through Adobe for over a year and have had no such issues. It works very well, and it's nice to get updates automatically. I thought about switching to the Amazon deal but decided against it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. flamingfish

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I've read the reviews -- just trying to find out how widespread the issue is.

8. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    To me, if you really only want/need LR I would just go ahead and do the upgrade.

The appeal and value of CC is the ability to get both PS and LR for $120/yr. But yes, the subscription model does suck. That being said, I am a subscriber so I guess I am guilty of supporting the stupidity of that model.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If in the US, just go to Software & Services click "Buy" for Lightroom, change Full to Upgrade and then sect the other options.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Yes, it's difficult to ascertain how relevant the reported issues are as most seem to be older reports and even among the recent reports it's unclear if the problem is with Adobe/Amazon or between the chair and keyboard.

As a user of serif Affinity Photo I'm currently on a Lightroom6 standalone license. I'd have been happy to stick with LR5 as well except for buying an EM5 mark II and thus forcing an upgrade last fall. As @Clint@Clint notes it's still possible to buy a license upgrade from Adobe if you know how to find it.

@flamingfish@flamingfish - what did you mean by "with no updating"? My LR6 standalone license still gets me updated minor versions, albeit it seems Adobe retains some features for the CC subscribers. I just updated to LR6.5 last night in fact.

In any event, I'd think carefully before buying that upgrade right now. Adobe has had a slightly under two year major version release cycle on Lightroom and LR6 came out in April 2015. I'm not saying not to buy it, only you can decide the utility value of having it, I point this out soley so you may make an informed decision and not be adversely surprised.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. cnyap

cnyap Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2015
    I recall 1-2 years ago people simply fooled the "adobe raw editor" to think their new camera was an older model...it worked because the new camera was using the (or nearly) same sensor so the images were the same in reality, just the header differed...so they altered the file header (or EXIF data? This would be much easier than modifying file header data) to indicate it was an older/supported camera and it worked.

12. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I guess you have to use the puter that Lightroom 5 is actually loaded on as I tried to access that feature, in order to see the upgrade price, using a machine that had an older version of Lightroom and it would not give me a price for the upgrade to version 6.

13. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Go to this page: Software & Services

Scroll down to "Photoshop Lightroom". Click "buy". When you do the page will change and next to where it says "I want to buy" change it from "full" to "upgrade".

You don't need to be on the computer that has LR on it.

14. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    OPPS!!! My mistake!! I misread what it was asking for. I thought it had asked me what I was upgrading to not what I already had. Sorry!! I've been watching the Open golf tournament and I guess I need more coffee or should pay better attention to what they were asking.

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    When you go the purchase route instead of subscription, you will get updates, but not newly added features. It is my understanding that those features are usually bundled and then added to the next released edition, so you should eventually see them.

--Ken

16. flamingfish

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Thanks for the tip on the two year update cycle. I'd kick myself if I spent $79 (which I think it the upgrade is) now, and a new version came out in a few months. I can certainly limp along using the Adobe RAW converter and my LR5 for a while -- unless I decide that getting Lightroom Mobile is worth going the CC route. Decisions, decisions . . .

17. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Glad to help, and there's nothing wrong with making an informed decision to buy it now if there's more value to doing so than there is to waiting. We don't even know if LR7 will be available as a standalone package.

In the interim, have you considered trying out the DxO OpticsPro v11 trial?

18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Adobe like many companies provide a notional schedule for release of new software - more information to help you decide whether to upgrade now or wait.

Lightroom Release Dates Time since last release Y/M/D
    Version 1 19-Feb-07
    Version 2 29-Jul-08 1/6/9
    Version 3 22-Oct-09 1/3/25
    Version 4 5-Mar-12 2/5/14
    Version 5 9-Jun-13 1/4/5
    Version 6 21-Apr-15 1/11/11
    Today’s Date 15-Jul-16 1/03/26

19. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    FWIW I did and it was working fine for 6+ months then all of the sudden it said my payment info needed updating, this was about 2 weeks ago. I checked and the CC was fine. I contacted Adobe, got some offshore almost automated response and was no help. Adobe support said contact amazon. I eventually just changed my credit to another card in amazon, then changed it back and all was ok.

Still it doesn't leave me with that much confidence. If I go direct to Adobe they will have my CC details which judging on their history is probably more dangerous.

20. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    There is the Paypal $8/mo deal also posted in this forum. :)

Some credit cards let you create a unique credit card # for online use, I might use that if I needed to, though to be honest I've had a couple card fraud incidents that were non-events really. However I NEVER EVER use my atm/debit card anywhere but my bank's ATM. I've seen friends hit and the cascade of cr@p that can result from auto payments against an emptied account. They got their money back but not the hours they spent on the phone with a bunch of different companies.