1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

7-14mm vs 8mm or 7.5 Fisheye question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by brlowe, Mar 7, 2013.

1. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I own the 7-14mm lens and wanted to know if I would gain anything by getting one the the fisheye lenses other than the fisheye look.
    I do like the look of photos taken with fisheye lenses.

Brandon

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I have to admit I haven't used my fisheye since I got the 7-14....

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you like the fisheye then get the Rokinon 7.5. It is a great cheap little lens. There is no need for AF at this focal length because of the great DOF.
    I set the camera to focus on about 1 meter and every thing from 0.5 meter is in focus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I have the panny 8mm and while it's my favorite lens I've noticed that it's not that sharp (IQ wise) when I compare it to posted images with the 7-14mm. I've actually been thinking of getting the 7-14mm as a replacement for the 8mm but I'm concerned about the ghosting and purple flare issues reported on this forum (as my OMD is my primary body). I haven't had any ghosting or purple flare issues with the 8mm at all.

5. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for the replies, I think I will just stick with my 7-14 as it is a great lens. No need to carry another lens.

6. nebulight

nebulight Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm curious about that as well.

7. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I think I'm going to bite the bullet, at some point this year, and just pick up the 7-14mm. my wife has a GX1 that I could use that lens on if I did experience the reported issues with the OMD.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love the Panny FE, and find it pretty damn sharp. Kind of hard to evaluate the sharpness near the edge due to the distortion

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The FE is a fun lens, it's good to have if you don't have other priorities, but won't be used much vis-a-vis a rectilinear UWA like the 7-14.