7-14mm or 9-18mm for Blackmagic Pocket

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kenny, May 27, 2013.

1. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Hello guys, this would be an interesting topic. So Im interested on buying the upcoming blackmagic pocket cinema camera, but I realized that it has a crop factor of 2.99.

However that's not the biggest problem since we have two awesome UWA lenses.

My questions are, since the pocket will not correct distortion(it only has aperture and IS support), which lens has the least amount of distortion? and which one has the best infinity focus? I believe that both lenses have approximately the same amount of sharpness (without pixel peeping)? Keep in mind that since the pocket is shooting raw, I dont really care about the "purple bulb" or any kind of colors problem.

Im also open to pros and cons of this lens on the pocket cinema.

I want to shot this kind of video, especially the introduction scene https://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagic/videos/62959319

I know this is not the best place to ask about video, but this forum is definitely the perfect place to ask about micro four thirds! (I read other forums regarding this, but mehh)

IM EXCITED FOR THIS CAMERA! FINALLY WE CAN EDIT RAW VIDEO JUST LIKE WE EDIT RAW PHOTO! :biggrin:

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Good question since I'm very interested in the camera as well. I don't have either of the lenses mentioned, but my concerns would be:

- F4 at 1/50 (assuming 2x frame rate) indoors and in low light is going to require pushing the ISO.
    - lenses are not digitally-corrected, which may or may not be an issue with the S16 sensor

I'm really intrigued by the 13 stop DR but I know that will tax my workflow and mobile storage requirements. Looking at the video I'm pretty sure that you can achieve very good if not identical results with the GH2/GH3. You'll have to work a little harder to get it right in camera but you'll have a capable still camera too.

Looking forward to other responses.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am not a video guy, only stills, so please take my comments on that basis.

I would take issue with one thing you said. Essentially that as you shoot RAW the purple flare of the 7-14 on Olympus cameras wont be an issue. I own the 7-14 (which is a great lens) and I only shoot RAW. I can tell you that trying to eradicate the purple flare (when it exists) in post is incredibly difficult. That is why it is a big issue with this lens - if it was simply a CA that could be corrected with a couple of clicks it really wouldnt be a problem. In some cases you simply have to bin the shot.

I mention this because the video you show has several setups which are just the sort of occasion where this purple flare materializes.

4. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Thanks for pointing this out, I have never encountered the "purple bulb" problem before with my lenses, so I thought it is the same as CA. It would be really unfortunate to shot sunset, sunrise, or beach scenes using this lens then.

I was wondering if this kind if condition will trigger the purple bulb? Meet Me in Big Sur in Blackmagic Cinema Camera User Group on Vimeo

Here the raw photos of the videoMcWay Falls - Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing! from the blackmagic camera

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    No I dont think that those are the typical conditions for 'purple flare' and neither are beach shots, sunrises and sunsets. In my experience it tends to happen in say a case like a church where the light is coming through the windows.

At present it only effects Oly cameras and not Panasonic that has a stronger UV filter (I believe). So it may not be an issue at all for the Black Magic. And it certainly isnt that big an issue that it puts me off the 7-14 or shooting with it on the OMD.

Finally I think the issue can be eradicated by putting a back filter on the 7-14 and attaching a Wratten 2A gel filter. See here....

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/my-definitive-post-7-14mm-purple-blob-problem-45013/index5.html#post458464

6. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Im not so sure about the blackmagic sensor and its uv filter. Thanks for your explanation robbie36, appreciate it a lot :2thumbs: