7-14 Panny vs Oly

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Mijo, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Cost difference aside would Oly's version with adapter be a better option on an OMD than Pannys native? In terms of AF speed, DOF, IQ and most importantly flare. I'm heading to HI for a couple of weeks and want to pick up one or the other and I've never used adapted lenses before. The weather sealing on the Oly is a plus for me right off the bat.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The Oly is going to have a slight edge in resolution. The Panasonic is going to have much quicker AF performance and perhaps marginally better flare control. DOF is a function of focal length and aperture, so it should be similar for the two lenses.

The most obvious difference between these two is size. Even without the adapter, the Oly is much bigger and over 2.5 times heavier than the Panny.

Unless you really value the weather sealing or have a Four Thirds body you use, I think I'd lean toward the Panasonic.

3. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Purple flare and resolution are my biggest concern and it sounds like it's a split between both of these factors. AF, overall size and cost are other deciding factors. Weather sealing was a lower consideration and I don't have a 4/3s body.

Sounds like the Panny version is a better choice, thanks for the input DeeJayK