1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

7-14 on the OMD

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tl1234, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Hi I'd like to ask your experiences with shooting the Panasonic 7-14 on the OMD? How is the IQ and the AF speed. I've been reading a few reviews that suggest that one has advantages using lenses and cameras from the same manufacturer so they get faster AF or auto lens correction.

I've always been intrigued and impressed by the 7-14 and I want to know if it loses much when used on the OMD compared to Panasonic M4/3 bodies in terms of usability and IQ.

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The AF is fast and IQ is very good. Except for the purple flare problem on OM-D, all works well. Unfortunately, I traded my lens for an X-Pro1 because I found it too wide for my taste. Having said that, I have had a pretty good experience with that lens.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I loved that lens for my archi shots and never really minded the purple flare issue (bit it really is there and different people have varying thresholds for tolerating it). Sold it though because I also had the more compact 12/2 and couldn't justify owning both. That and it couldn't fit the usual protection filters to protect that bulbous front element.

I do know of people who prefer buying lenses from the same manufacter of the body they own. But isn't the advantage of the system being able to beneift from both companies? But if there's one thing I noticed is that Olympus consistently produces more compact versions (am not counting the poorly performing 14-42 Lumix X zoom) of their different lenses.

85% of my archi and landscape shots are doable with the 12/2. When an UWA prime gets released though (likely will come from Olympus because of their dedication to fulfilling the M43 prime lens lineup), I'll be all over it.

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Ive read tons about this lens. till i finally pulled the trigger on the Oly 9-18mm. Is as sharp as the 7-14mm, accept filters, it is physically smaller, cheaper, and no purple flair problem (being a hyped or not problem it does exist and it is there). So no 7-14 for me, for those reasons. but again, thats me...

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a great ultrawide. Also on the E-M5. It flares under certain circumstances, but it is relatively predictable and controllable.

6. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks for all your responses. I'm going to consider the 9-18. I also did some price checks and these Olympus lenses aren't cheap :)

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I use this lens on my OM-D and G5 and used it on my GX-1. The IQ and AF speed is at least as good on the OM-D as the Panasonic bodies. I really wanted the extra 2mm at the wide end, and it was definitely a good choice (for me).

8. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    As an architect, I considered the 7-14 to be used with my OM-D but I finally decided to get the 9-18 because of its size and weight. I am really happy with it, it's a great little lens for traveling, one of my favorites.

9. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I also use the 7-14 on the OMD. I think that lens is really one of the highlights of the m43 system, and--along with a small handful of other m43 lenses--probably ranks as one of the best in the world of its type. As a wide-angle shooter, I eventually concluded that it was unthinkable to commit to m43 and not have the 7-14. All that said, it does have limitations--primarily the "purple ghosting" problem--which require attention.

10. mangomonster

mangomonster Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Anybody use the Rokinon 7.5mm instead of the Panasonic 7-14? It would seem that if I'm wanting wide, I'd more often just go with the widest available, and the lens can be easily de-fished. It's also cheaper. Just curious on anybody's thoughts about that approach.

11. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I have the Samyang 7.5 mm. as well as the 9-18 in my bag, nevertheless I have not used it as much as I expected, maybe because I am not familiar with the de-fish procedure and I haven't experimented with it.

12. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

7-14 on the EM5 Works for Me

Used the 7-14 on the EM5 all over Italy last October.

As long as you keep the light source out of the viewfinder, everything is fine. It's a fantastically sharp and versatile lens for those outside ultra wide angle shots and also worked well on my EM5. It will also work fine in well lighted interiors.

The 7-14, the 12-35, the 35-100 and the 25 are my current travel kit. If I know I'll be doing a lot of shooting of inside entertainment events, I'll also bring the Oly 75.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The P7-14 is a great lens. Extremely wide, versatile and sharp. The is at least equal to my Canon 16-35L. I've used the 7.5mm fisheye and it is actually sharper and wider than the P7-14. Bit it isn't as useful and defishing takes a lot out of it (economics notwithstanding ... a P7-14mm is a more useful/versatile lens than a defished 7.5mm).

The purple CA can be a significant problem when shooting directing into a light source. But even with that problem, the P7-14 is a great lens.

Gary

14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    +1 for O9-18, though the only reason why I chose it over 7-14 is because it accepts filters relatively easily. The purple fringe is an odd problem with the E-M5 but it wouldn't have deterred me from purchasing it if I needed the extra 2mm.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The 9-18 is a very good lens, equal in IQ to the 7-14 and the ability to toss on a filter without jerry-rigging is a very definite plus, but those two extra MM on the wide end make a real difference and impact on the final image.

G

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes. Especially with the 12-35/2.8, the Olympus, which starts at 9mm, hardly makes sense. The 7-14/4 is a fabulous lens with a range that complements the 12-35/2.8 and the 35-100/2.8. :2thumbs:

17. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

go download image samples from that lens and try it first.. depending on the subject it doesn't always defish well, also measure the defished result, it's not as wide as you think it is, you lose a lot of fov by defishing.

after much sampling and calculating i didn't buy it, i'm waiting on the side for a better option.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't have the Rok, but I have a fisheye and an ultrawide zoom for Canon.

If I want good quality and rectilinear, I use the UWA zoom. If I want fisheye, I use fisheye. Only occasionally do I defish it, and while it works decently you do lose quite a bit of detail in the extremes.

19. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks to everyone who contributed and answer! I'm still undecided LOL! But I think I'm warming up to the Oly a bit more