Follow Each Other on Instagram?

Heavy Doody

Mu-43 Regular
Please forgive me if this has already been done or is against the rules. I read the rules carefully and didn't see anything on it. I also searched, but "Instagram" turns up a LOT of results that aren't relevant to this particular topic. If this isn't the right place for this, mods please feel free to move or delete.

If this hasn't already been done, can we keep this thread active with Instagram usernames so we can see each others' work and follow each other? I'm not talking about blindly following everybody on the forum just for the sake of increasing followers. Rather, checking out each others' MFT work and following those whose work we enjoy and want to see regularly. I want to see the work of more photographers and fewer pics of my friends' food.

If you're interested, post your Instagram username. Better yet, link it if you can. I'll check them all out and follow those I enjoy. I probably won't bother with private profiles.

Mine is scottspain, if you're interested.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
[sarc]What's Instagram? [/sarc]

Isn't that for mobile phone users? Another Facebook, Twitter 'social' media format where you make millions of friends (who never send you presents on your birthday)?:biggrin:

Ellsass

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not sure how many photos taken with "proper" cameras are posted to Instagram given its very closed nature (mobile app uploads only).

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not sure how many photos taken with "proper" cameras are posted to Instagram given its very closed nature (mobile app uploads only).

Surprisingly TONS of people post their "proper" camera shots to Instagram; while I don't consider myself an Instagram purist I do consider this somewhat annoying and bit like cheating. I feel Instagram should be a forum for mobile-phone pics as there are plenty other forums for dedicated camera users, and the influx of said users likely intimidates the smartphone crowd instead of encouraging friendly competition among (more or less) peers.

That said, I found it difficult to resist breaking my self-imposed rule when I received my GX7 but have so far managed to restrain myself. ;)

Mine is lewisfrancis.

noohoggin1

Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio
Real Name
Tom
I was very much against Instagram at first, I thought it was kind of stupid. But after I've tried it for a while, I have found it invaluable as a social networking tool (and I hate social networking--it's a pain in the butt!), even better than my Twitter. Well here's mine for fun :p

Tom Nguyen Studio

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Better than Twitter....ha...I'm not sold then. Twitter is practically useless IMO.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Johnmichaelflores

I post a mix of phone shots and shots with "proper" cameras. I think it's fine that it's evolved from just phones. Facebook used to be just college students and the Internet used to be just colleges. The thing that binds it all together is the temporalness of it all. It's like shooting a kid's water gun at a Class V rapid.

My tool of choice at the moment is the tiny Pentax Q with an EyeFi card. EyeFi is clunky though-wish all cameras had wifi, Bluetooth, of NFC

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Better than Twitter....ha...I'm not sold then. Twitter is practically useless IMO.

Twitter is great for tracking breaking news. As the Boston bombers were being tracked down, I used Twitter (#BostonMarathon or similar) to track the story. People in the neighborhoods being searched were sharing first hand accounts at a level of detail that no other medium could match.

Real Name
Andrew L
I believe my username is the same as it is here. I get my "proper" shots onto mobile devices typically with an Eye-Fi card, which is nice and easy! I don't post much but I wouldn't mind some extra friends there!

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
If you have to wait for a national tragedy to approve of Twitter then that says it all about that platform.

IMO it's the modern equivalent of rubbernecking a car crash. :wink:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
If you have to wait for a national tragedy to approve of Twitter then that says it all about that platform.

IMO it's the modern equivalent of rubbernecking a car crash. :wink:

People talk about Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and the like as if they are monoliths. They aren't. They are unique to everyone that participates and are precisely what you want them to be. My Facebook wall looks nothing like your Facebook wall.

Want to fill your Instagram stream with just Magnum photographers? Go ahead.

Want to fill you Twitter stream with just Pulitzer prize winners? Be my guest.

Want to fill them both with cats. Nobody's stopping you.

But don't judge them as firehoses because that's all you know of them.

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
People talk about Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and the like as if they are monoliths. They aren't. They are unique to everyone that participates and are precisely what you want them to be. My Facebook wall looks nothing like your Facebook wall.

Want to fill your Instagram stream with just Magnum photographers? Go ahead.

Want to fill you Twitter stream with just Pulitzer prize winners? Be my guest.

Want to fill them both with cats. Nobody's stopping you.

But don't judge them as firehoses because that's all you know of them.

Oh dear, my personal opinion must have hit a nerve. :tongue:

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, actually he is correct and only relaying information. Informed opinions are much more useful than uninformed opinions :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Well, actually he is correct and only relaying information. Informed opinions are much more useful than uninformed opinions :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

From everything that I've seen of Twitter quotes/statements in news media, 'informed' is not what I'd call the vast majority. Much of it appears to be the most foul statements that people can possibly post, and this even comes from journalists.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
From everything that I've seen of Twitter quotes/statements in news media, 'informed' is not what I'd call the vast majority. Much of it appears to be the most foul statements that people can possibly post, and this even comes from journalists.

Well, I don't want to derail this useful thread, so I'll drop it after this, but the IPO did change the focus of how its discussed in the media. It will likely never be huge like Facebook or Google, but analysts seem to think it "should" be.

Oh... and I'm not on Instagram yet, but I'll update if i join :smile:

John M Flores

Super Moderator

You didn't hit a nerve, you were just ignorant. Does this :biggrin: soften the truth? :wink:

From everything that I've seen of Twitter quotes/statements in news media, 'informed' is not what I'd call the vast majority.

Listening to the media is your first mistake. And there is no "vast majority". Everyone has their own experience.

Look at it this way–out of the whole entire Internet you've probably selected a dozen or so website that you visit regularly because you either like what they say or the community they foster (like Mu-43). Instagram and Twitter are no different.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Listening to the media is your first mistake. And there is no "vast majority". Everyone has their own experience.

Look at it this way–out of the whole entire Internet you've probably selected a dozen or so website that you visit regularly because you either like what they say or the community they foster (like Mu-43). Instagram and Twitter are no different.

When you look at the entirety of the Australian media (TV and newsprint), bloggers, websites etc, where Twitter comments are posted, on about just about any topic of public interest or concern, there is an incredible amount foul. offensive, posting going on. You may well be right about the community Twitter fosters, but unfortunately, 95% of Twitterati give the remaining 5% a bad name. ;)

John M Flores

Super Moderator
When you look at the entirety of the Australian media (TV and newsprint), bloggers, websites etc, where Twitter comments are posted, on about just about any topic of public interest or concern, there is an incredible amount foul. offensive, posting going on. You may well be right about the community Twitter fosters, but unfortunately, 95% of Twitterati give the remaining 5% a bad name. ;)

Maybe you don't understand how Twitter works. I don't get any of the foul, offensive stuff that you are talking about because I don't follow any foul, offensive people. Those people simply don't exist for me. You're seeing it in the media because it's sensational, not because it's an accurate cross-section of Twitter.

What you are saying is similar to someone saying, "I don't like the internet because it's filled with cats." It's a sensational statement that's simply not true.

Well, kind of...

Latest threads

Top Bottom