1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

64GB cards in EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffg53, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I am trying to get images from my EM5 into my iPad and have discovered that the camera will only accept ExFAt formatted 64GB cards, which the iPad won't read. I can format the card as FAT on my Mac but the EM5 won't accept it and I have to reformat the card in the camera. That format makes it ExFAT.

Is there a setting that I am missing? I have searched the menus but can't find anything.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Jeff,

"SDXC (supported only when not formatted as ExFAT)" from the iPad support page at iPad: Using the iPad Camera Connection Kit .

Can you use an intermediate device, such as a computer, to transfer the files and then move to the iPad?

Maybe somebody has a more helpful response...but all of the sites I was able to find referenced the Apple site which claims ExFAT isn't supported :frown:.

Regards,

Jim

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Jim,

Thanks. What I'm trying to do is come up with a solution that will let me take a backup of my images and also let me load some onto the iPad while I am travelling. I want the iPad to replace the laptop.

Thinking that I had found a solution, I bought a HyperDrive only to find that it won't support ExFAt either. It will happily read my 32GB cards but not 64GB. I'm waiting to hear from them now.

From what I have seen elsewhere, the Oly isn't the only camera that uses ExFAT on 64GB cards. I was hoping that there may be a way to get the EM5 to use FAT.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Reason for not using 32 GB cards?

5. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    I use an Eye-Fi card, to send images to my iPad.

6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    None, really, I just happen to have bought one recently

7. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    So do I, but it's not always possible to find a network to connect to, and teh limited storage of the iPad is why I went looking for more capacity.

8. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Jeff, the X versions of the Eye-Fi will connect wirelessly directly to the iPad without having to use a third-party WiFi network; don't even have to remove card from camera. On the other hand, the Eye-Fi cards are awfully expensive storage.

9. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Sorry, Chuck. I'd forgotten about that but they are certainly expensive. $100 for 8B or thereabouts is a little over the top. I had an issue with not being able to read the Eye-Fi on another reader but only on the supplied one.

10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Yeah, I have one, but I wouldn't buy another at that price point. For $100, you can get several 32GB Class 10 cards...!

11. pholcid

pholcid New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    You might try an Airstash. It claims that it does SDXC 64GB and bigger as exFAT. There's no built in memory on the airstash, so get the cheaper (8GB) version. street price is about $115. the iThing apps are free, or you can access it from any browser. But: I just got mine last week and haven't tried it for photos yet, so I don't know if the interface is efficient for searching through hundreds of files. You may need to make note of file names in the camera to select the right ones for transfer.

12. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I'd be very interested in how you go with it. I discovered it when looking around. It says that you need to format SDXC cards as FAT. As soon as you put it in an EM5, it won't use it until you format it which makes it ExFAT. Here's the link: http://support.airstash.com/entries/20174151

If it works well, I would forego 64GB cards. Please keep us posted.

13. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    You dont need a network infrastructure for Eye-Fi. You can use Direct Connect mode and have the iPad connect to the card directly. I do it all the time with my Galaxy Nexus. I have it set up so it only sends the pics that i mark "Locked" on the camera.

14. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks. I'm experimenting with Direct Connect now. There is an issue with IOS 5 which can make it a real fiddle.

15. pholcid

pholcid New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Well drat, I shouldn't post when tired. I found a similar support page, skimmed it too fast and got the inverse impression. So I looked up exfat today, and it's a microsoft patented thing, with presumably high licence fees. Worth it for camera companies since big cards have to hold so many files, probably not worth it to Maxell for a toy.

There's a possibility that ios 6 could support exfat, making the camera connection kit work. exfat is available on mac desktops since 10.6.6. I haven't seen anything about it, but it's not the kind of thing that hits the blogs. On the other hand, mobile devices have to pay a per unit license fee, so I won't hold my breath.

I stuck a card from the om-d into the stash today and connected from an iphone 4S. It's not elegant for photos, but it does work. the 4S handles the raw just fine, but they do take some time to transfer. I assume jpeg would be proportionately faster. You can import an entire directory into the photo library, or you can do them one at a time. No option to display thumbnails or do a multiple selection. Presumably the android version is about the same. It works nicely if you want to dump everything (and have enough free space), and well enough if you want to transfer a few to work on immediately and send off, but I wouldn't want to do a hundred out of six hundred.

Aha, I finally remembered that Goodreader does WebDAV, and it can do multiple selections for file transfer. So I set that up, and it's more useful though it still can't show thumbnails. You can select multiple files (one tap for each though), download them to a separate folder in GR, go into that folder and view the first image, and from there, there's a button to import all of them into the photo library. Not as good as it could be, but better than the airstash app.

Whether that's worth $115 depends on how much you need it, and whether you plan to also use it for other types of files such as video streaming (which works fine so far).

16. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    My wrestling with the problem has moved on. I am now looking at a Nexto ND2730 which I hope to hook to a CloudFTP device. I am waiting to hear from Nexto whether they can display ORF files. I have sent the Sanho HyperDrive back for a refund, which they have graciously agreed to do.

The ND2730 will support both FAT and ExFAt so that would give me a good backup solution, and hopefully, the CloudFTP will give me the means to get some images into the iPad.

When I decided that I didn't want to travel with a laptop any more, I had no idea what a can of worms I was opening.

17. Can you format it as two (partition) the card? Then perhaps you cab select which to read or mount.

18. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I can't see why not.