1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

60p video

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Talanis, May 22, 2013.

1. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I'm thinking about buying a second body only for video but I really want the ability to shoot 60fps video for nice slow motions. As I see it at the moment, my choices would be:

• GH2
    • GH3
    • G6
    • Wait to see the GX2 and E-M7

I currently own an OM-D (and my wife a E-PM2) and some nice lens (7.5mm, P20, O45, O75 and O12-50).

What do you think would be the best deal? WiFi control of the camera would be a plus. It will be mostly to do some hybrids portraits and weddings.

2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Why look further than the GH3, Does 60p, wireless, headphone and mic jacks. Waiting for what "might" be coming means not doing something now. Don't knw what the EM6 will bring but if Olympus was interested in video why have they not done firmware update to the EM5? BTW, I have shot video with the EM5 handheld inside with the Panni 14-140 at 1600 ISO and it was rock solid. Wish my GH3 had the 5-way stabilization, but as a video camera it is hard to beat.

3. mangomonster

mangomonster Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    I couldn't be happier with my GH3... native 1080p @ 60FPS is the best

4. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    The only reasons why the GH3 is not my first choice is the price and the size. I'm selling slowly my Canon pro gear for something smaller and lighter. Although, I did not have the chance to hold the GH3 so I don't know the actual size and weight in comparison to my 5D2. Those are the 2 reasons that were guiding me toward the G6.

I love the IBIS so that's why I'm kind of hoping Olympus would put better video in the next OM-D. There was a rumor this morning about Panasonic putting some kind of IBIS in the GX2.

This summer, I'm testing micro 4/3 in weddings and I want to start making some hybrid portrait sessions. But I will start to offer those products next year only (or maybe this fall).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Don't forget about the G5 - that also does 60fps. Obviously no wifi, but the G5 will only get cheaper from here on out.

6. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    from bhhphotovideo:

G6
    Dimensions (WxHxD) 4.8 x 3.3 x 2.8" excluding protrusions
    Weight 11.99 oz (body only)

GH2
    4.88 x 3.53 x 2.98"
    Weight 13.82 oz (body only)

GH3
    Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.2 x 3.7 x 3.2" excluding protrusions
    Weight 19.4 oz with SD card and Battery

5D mark 2
    Dimensions (WxHxD) 6.0 x 4.5 x 3.0"
    Weight 28.6 oz (body only)

unless you're planning to use your L glass with an adapter on your up and coming m4/3 camera, the lenses are going to be lighter and smaller, as well. the GH cameras have such great video, i haven't seen oly video to match it so far... i'm very interested in how the G6 is going to do since it has a supposedly improved version of the GH2 sensor.

7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im a previously Canon 5D series shooter that now shoots with GH3 and let me say that I LOVE the GH3. Its a great video camera that beats the "big boys" in a lot of ways even. As for the size concern... Having shot with a 5D plus battery grip plus 70-200, 24-70, 35L, Sig85, 135L this GH3 is a featherweight. I think a lot of focus is put on the body size/weight of M43 camera's but where the biggest difference in size/weight reduction comes from is the lenses. Its not even close... the M43 lenses are so light/small and make all the difference. Not to mention IMO better lenses in some cases for a fraction of the price. For the most simplest of comparison ... compare the Panny 12-35mm to the Canon 24-70mm, the Panny 35-100mm to the Canon 70-200mm, Canon 50L to the Panny 25mm. That should give you a good idea of how much weight and size you will be cutting from a lenses only perspective.

I consider myself a beginner in the video world but I really dont think you will regret getting the GH3 for video work... pair it with some nice lenses and you will be amazed at what it can accomplish. There is so much detail in files that come out of this camera it still blows my mind. And the AF for stills is nothing the 5D2 could even touch.

And also for what its worth the GH3 reeks quality when you handle it IMO.

8. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Good point. The 5 m43 lenses I have altogether weight less than my 70-200. I soooo love shooting with my OM-D and traveling light. I will have to find a store that has the GH3 in stock so I can handle it.

In 3 weeks, I'm doing a test wedding (going as a second with a friend to test a wedding with only m43). That's the last test that will decide if I take the plunge 100% in m43 and sell my Canon gear. At the moment, I tested it in studio for portrait and commercial gigs, for outdoor portraits and even tested it in shows (which I do not usually do besides for some friends). So there is only the wedding test left.

Quick question for those using the GH3 and the Panasonic 20mm. Does it have the same banding issues that I have with the OM-D above 3200 ISO?

9. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, see if you can find a store to check out the GH3. For what its worth I bought one sight unseen :eek:

The wedding test should be interesting for sure. Do report back and share what you thought after. Im interested in hearing about this.

I dont have a 20mm.... maybe another member with one will chime in soon.

I like your blog btw (Even though I couldn't read it) :smile:

10. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I added a translate button on the left side. It's far from perfect but it is often enough to understand. :)

For the wedding, I'll post my thoughts here as well add on my blog. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. dmk005

dmk005 Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
  12. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    GH2 does not do 60p video.

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    720/60p is available, and I would say it has as much detail as 1080p from my Canon 7D or T3i.

14. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Totally forgot about 720p60, usually just shoot 1080p :D.

G5 prices are hard to beat right now though. The GH2's hackability is more appealing if you want to hack it, but if you want to keep it stock, the G5 with the same sensor and 1080p60 support might be a better bargain.