1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

60mm Macro with close-up filters

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by StefanKruse, Jan 28, 2015.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience using the Oly 60mm Macro lense with close-up filters to achieve increased magnification?

Please share any experience you may have e.g. IQ, Specific filters, results etc.

Thanks,
    Stefan

2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I have used a Raynox DCR-150 with the Oly 60 a few times (with a step up/step down ring, can't remember which) and it worked well, though of course with that amount of magnification the DOF is very narrow, so it takes some care and good light and small aperture to get the desired object in focus, and I need a lot more practice. I don't know if I have any sample pics in my Flickr feed, but I'll look. I plan to try it more often in the garden this spring, with a tripod.

3. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks wendy. I guess the Raynox will be tricky to handle i.e. DoF but also shooting handheld due to its 1.5x magnification. (I prefer handheld shooting as size was a big reason for me to go with M43). Please do share any shoots you may takeand how you achieved.

4. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    OK, I found a few that I am certain were taken with the Raynox on the Oly 60mm. These were handheld and used only natural light. As you can see, I need more practice to nail the focus, but moving insects are not easy at this level of magnification! These little hoverflies were barely visible to the naked eye. I do have an E-M10 with IBIS - that definitely helps with handheld shots.

14884177524_772093b894_b.
    Resting

P7260447-Edit.

P7260448-Edit-Edit.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I took this shot using an extension tube with my 60mm macro. I was using a homemade focusing rail and a tripod. I am not steady enough or lucky enough to use the 60mm handheld with any additional magnification.

16156249507_f0c824cd67_c.
    M1017317-1
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Fantastic handheld shots WendyK!

7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Thanks, Bobby! Of course, these were the best of that shoot, most of the rest were not worth keeping. I do plan to try some with the tripod or monopod this spring and summer. I do quite well hand held with just the Oly 60, but the additional magnification of the Raynox forces me to accept my limits.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Great shoots! Catching flying insects handheld and only ambient light with so high quality outcome is quite an achievement - I suspect you have a very steady hand. Do you use manual focus or auto-focus?

9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Thanks! Yes, I think I do have steadier than average hands, unless I've had too much caffeine. With the Oly 60 I use a mix of manual and auto focus. I get surprisingly good results with auto focus, but I suspect I used manual focus on the shots with the Raynox due to the higher magnification and shallower DOF. I often take some shots of each subject with auto focus and some with manual, and usually at least a few of them are decent.