60mm Macro returned in favour of Panny 45-200 + Ranox 150.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    After some very, very disappointing initial results with the 60mm I have returned it (and the hood) in favour of a 45-200/Raynox combo.

This combo I have used before, another advantage is, it give the versatility of the zoom feature and cost saving.

With the 45-200 combo the is almost a constant 'working distance' (lens to object) and there is no 'hunting' for focus that is inevitable with macro lenses, 60mm or PL45.

The 45-200 I have always found to be an excellent lens...........

P8120284-1-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P8120286-1-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P8120284-1-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 5
  2. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I suppose using a diopter to remove your ability to focus to infinity is one way to eliminate focus hunting! :)
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The O60 macro has a focus limit switch as well...
  4. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi , i like your pics on flickr.
    But i noticed that you use a FZ200 too.
    Which camera do you prefer for macro work?
  5. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Sorry never owned a FZ200.

I have no camera preference, it's an EM5 at the moment, it's the glass that counts.
  6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Agreed, but like the PL45 they both tent to 'hunt'...the PL45 I found worse tham the 60mm.
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Why, oh why are you trying to AF at macro distances? No wonder you're having issues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. byegad

byegad Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Yes, Macro work is an MF thing. I use both a 4/3 35mm Macro lens and m4/3 extension tubes with a variety of primes for Macro and MF and a focus rail are a must for proper Macro. DoF tends to be very shallow and you really need to be very precise. I doubt any AF would do the job as well as a Mk1 eyeball.
  9. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    whilst MF is without doubt the best approach for controlled focusing, I'm finding that the touch screen to set the focus area and the magnify function to both centre that and display the focused area on the M1 are a real pleasure to use for single frame static close ups.

the additional MF assists on the other hand are also extremely welcome when using the bellows!

for the birds above I would expect FD with any lens to deliver instantly everytime :smile:
  10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I fine tune using MF or move to adjust distance to subject before taking the shot, but find that quick reliable AF is really handy for quickly closing in to approximately the right focus, especially when shooting finicky subjects like live insects.
  11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    You've posted some stunning images so I would say to you keep using that setup, it works great for you.
    I use the 40-150 with the canon 500D in the field and do as you, adjust the zoom to acquire focus/framing.
    I also use the 60 at home in the yard as I've learned it's strengths and weaknesses regarding auto-focus. Without the focus switch on the side of the lens I would have returned mine as well. I guess i think the focus limiter on the 60 is it's saving grace for me. But I certainly see your point about zooms and diopters making it easier in the field.
  12. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    If a MACRO lens has the capability to AF then it should AF over the ENTIRE range...IMVHO

I'm not a novice when it comes to Macro work, been interested in it since the 1970's and have learned quit a bit.

The best method for 'close-up' (1:1 technically, macro above that) hand held, is the combo I use.......again IMVHO.

For macro, 1:1 and above, stick it on a tripod and manual focus, it's a whole new ball game.

Interesting point, I have tried the Raynox 250 and I found it gives too much magnification for hand holding in the field, focusing is difficult.

45-200 + Raynox 150....£290 and I have the facilities of a stand alone zoom.
    60mm Oly......................£375 this includes a OEM hood.

It's a 'no-brainer'...again IMVHO