$600 burning a hole in my pocket..

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by skellington, Dec 18, 2014.

1. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    My main camera, which is probably perfectly adequate, is a Panasonic G5. I like the handling, and it mostly does what I need. And I've got a decent flash, and most of the lenses that I want under that budget. (If the 12-40 Olympus refurb was back for $639, I'd get one of those!)

But I've had a couple uses for my "backup" body (which is just my old G3 that I haven't bothered to sell yet) this year, and could have used an external mic once or twice. And the GH3 has shown up a couple of times for less than $600.

I wasn't a big fan of the GF I tried briefly, so I'm not sure a GM1 is a great idea; but something small would be lovely when chasing my toddler in the park.

And I could get a GX7 or a refurb EM5 for about $600 now too. Image stabilization is great, right?

So I should just relax, and ignore these holiday deals, right? None of these cameras are THAT much better than a G5, right?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd say a GX7 or EM10, personally. Which one I'd pick comes down to which feels the best in your hand, but either would be great choices.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I survived just fine with my G3 since early 2012, until I jumped into the Fuji boat. Ask yourself if there is something definite you can see another camera doing that your current one has issue with? If not, you are simply chasing the newest latest and greatest toy. Do most of your lenses have stabilization, or not? How much does a mic input get used? Etc. Remember, there is always another thing coming down the pipe that may be even better, so you don't have to spend your money now.

4. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I have the GM1 and yes I do this all the time with my kids. I use the GM1 so much now that I prefer it over the GX7 unless I'm doing remote flash. I had a GF2 which I thought was too small. The GM1 is even smaller and because it's so tiny, it actually becomes something amazing.

Body only GX7 goes for under $490 new

Perhaps the rumoured GX8 with DFD and 4k may be worth the wait. but there's nothing official.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get an E-M10. It'll smoke the G5 in just about everything stills related except the silent shutter!

6. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    $600 Burning a hole in my pocket.

Send it to me !!!!!!!

7. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    No, please send it to me.

GX7 priced very nicely right now. Can buy that and have money left over or, if you are happy with the G5 and it meets your needs, just put the $600 aside, add to it every now and then and wait.

8. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I have a great discount running at the moment on $600 so you''d only have to send me $599.98. Bargain.

Seriously, if you can hold your breath long enough I'd wait until something came along that you 'really want', something you actually "want to buy".

Having money and just looking around for 'something to buy' rarely works out long term.

Wait (or send to me).

Who knows what will come in the new year sales when the retailers are struggling for turnover and the pre-christmas over spenders are looking to pay their credit cards?

9. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    GX7 on eBay going for $399 right now!!!!