60" print from a frame grabbed from 4k video with GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ranger Rick, May 12, 2014.

1. sLindbergh

sLindbergh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    LI, New York
    S. Lindbergh
    Very interesting!!!!
  2. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Awesome. Such a cool tool to have.

The one "downside" to this sort of thing is that you kind of have to shoot with the intention of frame grabbing from video (i.e. with a high shutter speed), which ruins the video as a video. You can probably frame grab a static subject at the normal 24p - 1/50 but otherwise, the motion blur will be too much for most applications.

It's still awesome, though, and great for things like sports, where you could shoot 4K/30p/1/1000 shutter speed and get some sick grabs.
  3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    in near future, all sport photographer and all birder or more generally every action shooter will use shot Grabbed from video!
  4. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    And, I wonder how good the light would have to be to shoot at 1/1000 shutter speed.
    I do the Run thru Redwoods every year and always have problems getting enough light.
    I normally shoot stills at about 500s and ISO 6400+ with a FullFrame f/2.8 lens.
    Perhaps I could use a fixed f/1.8 or SpeedBooster with Nikkor and max the GH4 out at 6400 ISO and shutter speed at high as 1/600.

I shot a Grand Prix Horse Event with a D800e from a TriPod at 1080 P30 and it did not suffer at all from a higher shutter speed.
    Of course I hate the Cinemic (shudder) look and you may want it.
    Those frame grabs were good at 1920 x 1080, so I imagine the 4k video ones should be better with 4 times the pixels.
  5. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    that's amazing!!
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've said it before, but if I were still shooting sports, I would definitely be shooting with a GH4 and using nothing but video for the likes of football and just taking screen grabs for news publishing. I would no longer have to wait for the decisive moment, but would have the lead-up, action and post-mortem.