1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

60" print from a frame grabbed from 4k video with GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ranger Rick, May 12, 2014.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    • Like Like x 2
  2. sLindbergh

sLindbergh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    LI, New York
    S. Lindbergh
    Very interesting!!!!

3. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Awesome. Such a cool tool to have.

The one "downside" to this sort of thing is that you kind of have to shoot with the intention of frame grabbing from video (i.e. with a high shutter speed), which ruins the video as a video. You can probably frame grab a static subject at the normal 24p - 1/50 but otherwise, the motion blur will be too much for most applications.

It's still awesome, though, and great for things like sports, where you could shoot 4K/30p/1/1000 shutter speed and get some sick grabs.

4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    in near future, all sport photographer and all birder or more generally every action shooter will use shot Grabbed from video!

5. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    And, I wonder how good the light would have to be to shoot at 1/1000 shutter speed.
    I do the Run thru Redwoods every year and always have problems getting enough light.
    I normally shoot stills at about 500s and ISO 6400+ with a FullFrame f/2.8 lens.
    Perhaps I could use a fixed f/1.8 or SpeedBooster with Nikkor and max the GH4 out at 6400 ISO and shutter speed at high as 1/600.

I shot a Grand Prix Horse Event with a D800e from a TriPod at 1080 P30 and it did not suffer at all from a higher shutter speed.
    Of course I hate the Cinemic (shudder) look and you may want it.
    Those frame grabs were good at 1920 x 1080, so I imagine the 4k video ones should be better with 4 times the pixels.

6. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    that's amazing!!

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've said it before, but if I were still shooting sports, I would definitely be shooting with a GH4 and using nothing but video for the likes of football and just taking screen grabs for news publishing. I would no longer have to wait for the decisive moment, but would have the lead-up, action and post-mortem.