60-Hour Post Processing Challenge #704 (Closed)

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Photo taken at Chitkul, the last village in India before Tibet in Himalayas, after Rupin Pass trek in 2019

The challenge will end Wednesday midnight GMT

Images are here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o7h8e1r9e4mrpe3/AACLWkYy0OUcGICgb7AhVJMEa?dl=0

Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:

• Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed, provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.
    RP622940.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Bad luck - what a day to be trekking - with grey swirling clouds and mist around you - I hope there were plenty of Tea-Shops to warm up in !

RP622940_Paul BW copy.jpg

So of course this is why I got an M4/3 system - I've been on expeditions to all sorts of places and tried out every and all sorts of kit to take with me over the decades; heavy all-metal Nikons, Olympus OM systems, Single lens kits vs a whole bag-full and a heavy tripod, even a minimal kit with just an Olympus Mu-ii or a Ricoh rangefinder and a table-top tripod to perch on top of rocks or rucksacs. Then M4/3 changed all that - though when it gets to be terrible weather or challenging vertical routes I always have a Lumix TZ 1/2.3" sensor compact in my cagoule pocket (I got several at pocket money prices on eBay for -this purpose and the TZ20 and later models with CMOS sensors will shoot a 3-sequence autobracket one-handed in rapid-fire such that the inherent low dynamic range can be rescued in HDR).

What I did - and why
  • I converted Ramesh's RAW image in DXO - which shows what a lot of distortion is present in the 12-40 F2.8 if you don't shoot JPEGs!
  • Then I decided that leading lines, square format, B&W and an antique leaky light frame look was my creative contribution to the challenge as I wanted to mimic Samuel Bourne.
For those who think expedition photography needs HQ kit - please do a www search for "Samuel Bourne images" - the inspiration for my interpretation of today's processing challenge. Bourne was the victorian-era pioneer of photography in India and clearly has been on the same treks as Ramesh - but did it in the 1860's with a trunk full of glass-plate negatives. Amazingly - his studio in Calcutta only recently closed! Go to the British Library website to see his whole collection online if this takes your interest or look for his pioneering book "Photographic Journeys in the Himalayas 1863-1866 " which has been reprinted several times.

The Buspa Valley from Sungla, India by Samuel Bourne.jpg

Wanga Valley, India by Samuel Bourne.jpg

Bourne 2.jpg

Gangootri-Glacier-and-the-Snowy-Himalayan-Mountains---1865.jpg

Lastly - if Ramesh's picture hasn't stimulated you to visit the Indian hill-country with your camera once covid restrictions ease, do check out a great series of YouTube videos made by an Indian filmaking group called "the Vibe Collective" that feature trekking and travel ideas in India - here's two to start you off with (but only go motorbike trekking in India if you are truely foolhardy !!) :
  • and one episode from a series called "Way Back Home"

Thanks for posting the challenge - best wishes - Paul C

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
and my second go - with apologies for stretching the verticals !!

PAUL V2.JPG

PS - I left the electic lines in place in tribute to the amazing engineers who have linked up so much of India and Nepal to the national grid -- one benefit of trekking now (compared to a while ago) is that in even in most secluded homestays where you sleep you will be able to recharge your batteries (just remember that India and Nepal have their own plug design and it may not be easy to get a converter plug in Europe or the USA beforeyou go).

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1
RP622940_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2:
RP622940_DxO_Web_1.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
PPC704_01A.jpg

Used the raw file with DxO and Gimp/Nik/G'mic. Minor perspective correction, exposure, color and crop adjustments in DxO. Local contrast enhancement and scaling and sharpening in Gimp.

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Entry #1. ACR, adjusted perspective and edited blanks in Elements, then DeNoise. Left pole in to put context to power lines.

RP622940cr.jpg

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Entry #2
RP622940cbwr.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Not many entries so easy to judge
1. Winner - @Robert Davidson #2
2. 1st runners up - @Kae1 #1

Special mention - @Paul C for digging so much info & history about the location which even I was not aware.

Over to you Robert

Sorry, didn't make it in time. Beautiful shot. I opened raw file in DxO PL4, did some of the usual adjustments, then in Elements I spent quite a bit of time trying to remove the overhead power lines (it was unusually difficult for some reason). Anyway, here is my attempt (entry #1):

RP622940_DxOdcLL.jpg

Entry #2: Applied Fuji Velvia 100 emulation (DxO FilmPack 5) to entry #1:

RP622940_DxOdcLL_velvia100.jpg

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
DxO FilmPack
Dear Relic - I like the impact on the picture that you got - but how much of that was down to you with the sliders and how much with the DXO FILM PACK?

so in reality -
  • how much time does the DXO FILM PACK save you?
  • are the results consistent across the range of "films" offerred - or are there just some stand-out emulations?

Presumably I could do the same by manually adjuasting the settings in my standard DXO - or other programmes, but the film pack has created "custom settings" for a range of different films.

It great to hear from users before being tempted to buy yet another plug-in or stand alone !

The excellent website "Life After Photoshop" did a review looking at a range of emulation programmes a few years back - and found a lot of variability that was presumably either limited by the "eye of the beholder" who decided the settings or by the limitations of the software - here was the survey of Kodachrome 64:

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 10.21.01.png

So - is it money well spent in avoiding hours hunched over a screen - or do you and others find that there are "recepies" of settings that can be used with the more basic programmes that can be saved in "custom settings" that work just as well for them?

I have color-efex but haven't ended up using it that much except for the "bleach bypass" effect for portraits - to subsequently find that the latest free "Olympus Workspace" does that effect pretty well !

I have spent a few hours with DXO setting up my favourite processing look for some of my cameras / scenes and know that it is a lot of work to do "by hand" but very useful when done - but are the newer programmes such as film-pack 5 now the way to go or is this just more SAS (If GAS is to 'Gear' then SAS must be to "Software", and I may have been a sucker for both!

.....but with Father Christmas coming - is it money well spent or am I just dreaming of yet another "quick fix" that I coud do already? Or should I just swop formats any buy a Fuji and do it all "in-camera" !!!

Anyones advice is always greatfully recieved !

Best wishes - Paul C

Dear Relic - I like the impact on the picture that you got - but how much of that was down to you with the sliders and how much with the DXO FILM PACK?

so in reality -
  • how much time does the DXO FILM PACK save you?
  • are the results consistent across the range of "films" offerred - or are there just some stand-out emulations?

Presumably I could do the same by manually adjuasting the settings in my standard DXO - or other programmes, but the film pack has created "custom settings" for a range of different films.

It great to hear from users before being tempted to buy yet another plug-in or stand alone !

The excellent website "Life After Photoshop" did a review looking at a range of emulation programmes a few years back - and found a lot of variability that was presumably either limited by the "eye of the beholder" who decided the settings or by the limitations of the software - here was the survey of Kodachrome 64:

View attachment 912694

So - is it money well spent in avoiding hours hunched over a screen - or do you and others find that there are "recepies" of settings that can be used with the more basic programmes that can be saved in "custom settings" that work just as well for them?

I have color-efex but haven't ended up using it that much except for the "bleach bypass" effect for portraits - to subsequently find that the latest free "Olympus Workspace" does that effect pretty well !

I have spent a few hours with DXO setting up my favourite processing look for some of my cameras / scenes and know that it is a lot of work to do "by hand" but very useful when done - but are the newer programmes such as film-pack 5 now the way to go or is this just more SAS (If GAS is to 'Gear' then SAS must be to "Software", and I may have been a sucker for both!

.....but with Father Christmas coming - is it money well spent or am I just dreaming of yet another "quick fix" that I coud do already? Or should I just swop formats any buy a Fuji and do it all "in-camera" !!!

Anyones advice is always greatfully recieved !

Best wishes - Paul C

Thank you, Paul, for your question. I'm afraid I am not a good person to ask. I just try different emulations by clicking on their "icons" and choose what looks good to me. I would think that in this case, one could get very close by simply adjusting contrast, saturation, and the like as the difference between my 1st and 2nd (film-emulation) image is not great (at least to my bad eyes). I have two suggestions: you can download FilmPack and try it for a limited time for free, as far as I understand, then decide whether it is worth while buying. Also, you can download the free Google version of the Nik Collection ( https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6809-google-nik-collection.html ) if you don't already have it (it also has film emulations as well as many other utilities, especially useful is Silver Efex, a popular conversion utility to B&W). DxO sell their newer version of Nik, but for me I didn't feel it was worth getting as the free version is more than good enough for me which I use only occasionally. By the way, for what it's worth, I only use the DxO FilmPack and the Nik Collection for the forum Challenge. Except for Nik Silver Efex, I have never used them for my own images since I mostly try to show them in as close to their natural colors as I know how. So I think it depends on whether one is after artistic interpretations, where the film emulations may sometimes be useful.
I hope my answer is useful. I hope that someone else, who knows more about the subject, would also reply.

Last edited:
You had a decent chance of winning. hard luck
Thank you so much for your kind remark. But I have to say that I'm glad that I couldn't win because I don't have the kind if photos that are suitable for this Challenge, and worse, I find judging the real challenge and a stressful activity even as I keep telling myself that no matter how I judge no on is going to get hurt :) The only reason I enter is that it is fun and I learn new things and it give me the opportunity to try things that I don't do with regular photos. Thank you again, Ramesh.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom