60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #697 (closed, results posted)

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
#2.
PPC697crop2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was going to give it a shot but then I saw Hendrik's.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Been away for a while, not much to add to this picture....
PPC697_01.jpg

Zapp

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek

PPC697DN.jpg

Zapp

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek

PPC697-2DN.jpg

Attachments

• PPC697-2DN.jpg
    PPC697-2DN.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 48

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
As always, thanks to everyone who submitted an entry. I hope you had a good time with it.

The general quality of the submissions was pretty high. I judged, as is my usual, based on how I liked the overall effect of the processing. For this image, I knew that B&W images would probably not fare well, because the early autumn colors seemed like a significant attraction in the scene. This turned out to be mostly true (more on that later), and none of the three B&W entries attracted my attention more than the top handful of color images. I agree with Hendrik that the driftwood was also a significant element of the scene; driftwood-littered beaches are a quintessential element of tidal shorelines around the Puget Sound/Salish Sea. I looked for clean processing (unless grunge and grain seemed like an obvious goal of an entry, which I didn't perceive in this challenge). I checked for good exposure and the usual "fixes" to balance the various elements of the image (masks, burn/dodge, local contrast, etc.). The replacement skies were also appreciated.

So my short list of finalists included @Robert Davidson , @Growltiger , @Rob Rider , @rpatodia , @Hendrik , and @Zapp DJR .

In the end, I couldn't easily decide between my top two, and split the difference by giving a nod to the least recent host of a challenge. Results:

Winner: @rpatodia #1. A beautiful entry with bright colors, good balance, and great retained detail in the driftwood!

Runner-Up (virtual tie for winner): @Hendrik #1. I said the autumn colors were important, but the rest of the package on this excellent day-for-night conversion won me over, and I thought the color version was the stronger one.

The rest of the short list was a 4-way tie for 3rd place: @Zapp DJR #1, @Robert Davidson #2, @Rob Rider #1, @Growltiger #2. All good. You guys can thumb-wrestle for the honors if you want.

You're up next, Ramesh!

Last edited:

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
As always, thanks to everyone who submitted an entry. I hope you had a good time with it.

The general quality of the submissions was pretty high. I judged, as is my usual, based on how I liked the overall effect of the processing. For this image, I knew that B&W images would probably not fare well, because the early autumn colors seemed like a significant attraction in the scene. This turned out to be mostly true (more on that later), and none of the three B&W entries attracted my attention more than the top handful of color images. I agree with Hendrik that the driftwood was also a significant element of the scene; driftwood-littered beaches are a quintessential element of tidal shorelines around the Puget Sound/Salish Sea. I looked for clean processing (unless grunge and grain seemed like an obvious goal of an entry, which I didn't perceive in this challenge). I checked for good exposure and the usual "fixes" to balance the various elements of the image (masks, burn/dodge, local contrast, etc.). The replacement skies were also appreciated.

So my short list of finalists included @Robert Davidson , @Growltiger , @Rob Rider , @rpatodia , @Hendrik , and @Zapp DJR .

In the end, I couldn't easily decide between my top two, and split the difference by giving a nod to the least recent host of a challenge. Results:

Winner: @rpatodia #1. A beautiful entry with bright colors, good balance, and great retained detail in the driftwood!

Runner-Up (virtual tie for winner): @Hendrik #1. I said the autumn colors were important, but the rest of the package on this excellent day-for-night conversion won me over, and I thought the color version was the stronger one.

The rest of the short list was a 4-way tie for 3rd place: @Zapp DJR #1, @Robert Davidson #2, @Rob Rider #1, @Growltiger #2. All good. You guys can thumb-wrestle for the honors if you want.

You're up next, Ramesh!
Thnx. It is an honor to be selected winner by Lyle. Will come up with a challenge by end of the day.

Latest threads

Top Bottom