60-Hour Post Processing Challenge #691 (Closed, Results Posted)

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
In a previous challenge you've had a go at an image of Scarborough, North Yorkshire during the day and now here's a picture I took last week during the night.

P8180036.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The raw and JPEG files are here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pkhx6hz8j3pscpg/AADvBY02rzqI4kfIp7VCZXFma?dl=0

The challenge will end on Friday 27th at 7:00 PM (GMT).

60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  1. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  2. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  3. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  4. The Winner of the challenge is honoured as the Master of the next Challenge
Notes:
  • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#1
P8180036_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Entry#2 B&W
P8180036_Nik_Nik_DxO.jpg

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Entry 1
20210825 Comp rb2 1600.jpg

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Entry 2
20210825 Comp rb4 1600.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek

P8180036DN.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Darek

P8180036DN2.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Initial exposure adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw. Three luminance masks (80-100, 0-80, 0-20) to bring up highlights, control white clipping, balance shadow noise. Zeroed noise sliders to give Topaz Denoise AI free rein. A little color noise reduction, less luminance reduction than suggested and a bit heavier sharpening. Crop in Photoshop. Turned around and added noise in Photoshop to take the edge off some of the more plasticky surfaces. Ran the display version through Denoise AI just for sharpening.

PPC691-2.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1:
P8180036_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2:
P8180036_DxO_Web_1.jpg

sbm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam
P8180036sn.jpg

I'm not entirely sure. 🙃 Was going to use this image to layer some stars into the night sky, and before I cut out the horizon, I glimpsed this overlay that looked a little like a double exposure and just went with it.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
PPC691_01B.jpg

My typical DxO and Gimp processing. It was the usual battle of trying to provide a bit of deep shadow detail and keep the noise to tolerable levels. The dynamic range of the raw image was compromised by the higher ISO, so I think it worked out better than I had expected.

@Kae1 : So I looked at Scarborough on Google Maps, and I am baffled by where you were when you captured that image . To get that view of St. Mary's and the harbor, and having trees and structures in the foreground, you must have been on a hill on the far side of South Bay, 2 or 3 km from the castle. But I would have thought you needed more than 150mm to get that angle of view. And the clarity and lack of atmospheric distortion at that distance is remarkable!

Last edited:
P8180036.jpg

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
@Kae1 : So I looked at Scarborough on Google Maps, and I am baffled by where you were when you captured that image . To get that view of St. Mary's and the harbor, and having trees and structures in the foreground, you must have been on a hill on the far side of South Bay, 2 or 3 km from the castle. But I would have thought you needed more than 150mm to get that angle of view. And the clarity and lack of atmospheric distortion at that distance is remarkable!
@WhidbeyLVR Lyle, you are right. We were staying at a holiday flat on a ridge (Filey Road on Google Maps) and I took this from the window. This is what the view looks like in the daylight.
DSCN9931.JPG

P8180036-studio.jpeg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
If I'd had my longer zoom with me I’d probably have concentrated on the harbour, dockside and town (i.e. @Robert Davidson #2 crop) and then a second image around the church. However, the church and harbour made a nice image, if you could “ignore” the outline of the roofs and trees in the foreground, and this is what most of you stuck with.

TBH I’d struggled with post processing this picture. I’m surprised again at what you’ve all been able to achieve in terms of bringing out the detail of the houses and chimneys in the foreground (which I struggled to do), removing the noise, sharpening the detail, cropping, and adjusting the colour. The added bonus of the moon :thumbsup: and a strange constellation o_O were things I’d not even considered.

In the “arty” category I loved @BosseBe ’s B&W interpretation and the lighting and clarity he’d created.

For the main category I felt that a colour version was what I was looking for and I came up with a shortlist of five. They all brought out the foreground, came up with a warmish colour, removed the noise, had minor cropping and added selective sharpening to different degrees.

After reviewing these five I couldn’t choose a clear winner, so I have five joint Runners Up (@BosseBe #1, @Growltiger #1, @Rob Rider #1, @WhidbeyLVR #1 and @Zapp DJR #2). I do have an overall winner of the challenge who is @BosseBe as I loved both your submissions.

Over to you Bo!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
D**n!
I thought I would be safe with such excellent competition! :whistling:
But I can only say: Thanks for the kind words and the win! @Kae1
I will try to find something for you all to "play" with before I go to bed.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom