60-Hour Post Processing Challenge #675 (WINNERS CHOSEN).

relic

Hobbyist
I think this has got to be the worst challenge image ever-- sorry everyone. But I know you can rescue it from the trash bin if anyone can.

_4044869Challenge.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jpeg file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/byetahtp4talh5e/_4044869.JPG?dl=0
raw file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcqso4grxt7n3pf/_4044869.ORF?dl=0

Challenge will close on Monday, June 28 at 9:00 AM EDT (1 PM GMT/UTC).
----------
Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:
  • Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Last edited:

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Worst ever? First of all, it's an image with great potential. And if there wasn't anything to fix, then it wouldn't be a challenge, would it?

_4044869_ext.jpg

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
I tried to remove twigs in the way of seeing the bird more clearly by cloning.
_4044869.jpg

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
new tighter crop
_4044869crop.jpg

todd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
todd
20210625224603-8543da41.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
PPC674_01.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Lovely bird. I have changed my earlier entry
_4044869_DxO_edited.jpg

Last edited:

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
_4044869_DxO_edited B&W.jpg

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Took the first version and did a lot of dodging and burning (also to conceal the out-of-focus branch in front of the bird).

_4044869_ext2.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1
_4044869_DxO_Web-1.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2
_4044869_DxO_Web_1-1.jpg

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
The Challenge is now closed. I'll post the results later today. I know it will be a very difficult task given the very high quality of the entries. Many thanks to all the contributors.

relic

Hobbyist
I would like to thank you all again for your excellent entries. I've looked at them carefully so many times trying to select the winner and I am having a rough time doing so rationally. But select I must. Aspects that I considered among others were bird color, definition of its feathers vs. the busyness of the out-of-focus background, treatment of the pesky out-of-focus branch in front of the bird. Even with these criteria in mind, it was very difficult to judge and in the end there was considerable arbitrariness involved. So here are my choices:
1st place: @WhidbeyLVR .
runner-up: @frankmulder (2nd entry).
2nd runners-up: @todd phillips and @Robert Davidson.

Thank you all again for participating.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Thank you, @relic ! Good challenge! That image was challenging on several fronts. There were some nice entries, too!

It may take me a day or more to get the next challenge posted. Some of you may have heard about our crazy record heat wave in the Pacific Northwest. It is 93 °F (33 °C) in my house (upstairs) right now, which is 6 °F cooler than outside. On an island surrounded by cold water. Normal is mid-60's (about 18 °C). It is too hot to explore my photo morgue right now, so I'm gonna go back downstairs and melt where it is a few degrees cooler. Watch this space. ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom