60-Hour Post Processing Challenge #674 (closed, results posted)

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
An old advertisement for a Dutch soft drink based on orange juice (launched in the 1920s) on a wall in the historic city of Delft:

1624395676393.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JPEG and RAW can be found here: https://web.tresorit.com/l/laIjJ#jRL_tiX_TzqU4NQEcRJ3Jw

Challenge will close right after I've got my first Covid-19 vaccination, at 9:45 a.m. (UTC+2) on Friday June 25th 2021.

----------

Post-Processing Challenge Rules

1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

• Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

todd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
todd
20210622170057-f71451e5.jpg

pooped out mid-job but you get the idea ?

roboroto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I think I'll return and think of something else later.

P1090144_DPp.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Since I had my second shot 2½ weeks ago I will give you the vaccinated version :th_salute:
Entry #1
P1090144_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
And since I think a pure B&W does not work for the picture, here is a selective colour one!
Edit: Not really satisfied with the original version, had some colour in the wrong places and the sign needed some more colour so here is a new version.
Entry #2
P1090144_Nik_1-1_DxO_Web.jpg

I did this selective colour in NIK Silver Efex Pro, I used a structured B&W conversion because I like it, use whatever you want the following works anyway.
Then I put a control point on the orange colour in the glass in the middle of the picture, made the point circle bigger to cover the part of the sign that I wanted to bring out the orange in (all of it), I then found the small down arrow in the menu of the control point to expand it so I could see the SC (Selective Colour) control and brought that to 100%, I then adjusted the brightness to my taste.
Then I placed another control point in the blue field in one of the corners and did the same thing. Now I copied that control point unto the other corners of the sign, covering all the blue area.
This brought out the blue colour as well as the orange from the first control point.
Looking at the picture I saw that the colour had bleed into other areas, the window and the skaters face. So I placed new control points on those places with the SC control at 0%, this took away the the bleeding colour.
I found a couple of more places that could use a SC 0% control point and placed them there.
Finished! Save and back to DxO for export, no final adjustments this time but that is sure possible.

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 1

PPC674_01.jpg

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 2, B&W

PPC674_01B&W.jpg

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Entry #1 Elements plus DeNoise
P1090144ar.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Entry #2
P1090144bwr.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Edited raw file in DxO PL4.

P1090144 Copy_DxOLL.jpg

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: Applied Fuji Provia 100F emulation (DxO FilmPack 5) to entry #1.

P1090144 Copy_DxOLLprovia.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
. . . and soon you will be able to use your new 3rd arm to help steady the camera or hold an off-camera flash. Mine works great!
What! You guys get a third arm after your shots?
That is not fair, all I got from my second shot was a sore upper arm.

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
#1 To start opened raw in Adobe Camera Raw, used camera matching Panasonic Standard, used the eye drop tool on white door way.
Next I used the auto setting in geometry section of camera raw. I added some texture and then went to Topaz Denoise.
After that I cloned out the cement block and selected the sign and adjusted the color to taste. Worked on the small piece of sky that is showing. A slight burn on the bottom of the photo and all done.

P1090144 (1).jpg

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
I wanted to try the selective color that Bosse Be did, so here is my version, apologies for the idea copy. I selected the sign then select inverse and deasaturate to B+W and then adjusted brightness and contrast.
P1090144 select.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
#2. I've gone for a closeup , like the texture, bricks and peeling paint.
P1090144a.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
P1090144_DxO_edited.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Wonderful capture. A lot of cognitive dissonance going on... Lovely old-style graphics vs. unlovely contemporary graffiti, bikes vs. skates, no bike parking vs. bike parking, original vs. replacement windows, well seen!

My thought was to induce a sense of faded glory in the background while making the skater pop. Two smart objects in Adobe Camera Raw, one to desaturate the background, the other to add a little sizzle to the skater. Once the background was healed and the skater properly cut out, I could move her a bit forward. I just had to reposition the No Parking easter egg on the door, too.

P1090144-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom