60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #669 (closed, results posted)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Many thanks to all who participated! Thank you for trying to make something of this confusing pair of images. It isn't clear if they are about the street scene or the rainbow, and they have a hard time being both. For me, it is easy: the rainbow was startlingly intense and I wanted to capture it with its environment. But my eye was on the sky and not the street. I probably shouldn't have pressed the shutter. I definitely should have widened the view to give myself more room and better framing. And I should have waited for something approximating "the decisive moment." But I didn't, so you get a challenge out of it.

The B&W images of the rainbow didn't work for me, but Frank's cropped street image did. Of the color images, I particularly liked Bo's (although I preferred the DeepPRIME), both of Richard's, Rob Rider's, Hendrik's and Ken's. Results:

Winner: @Rob Rider

1st Runner-Up: @RichardC #1 (why was entry #2 so much smaller?)

2nd Runner-Up: @frankmulder

My best effort is below. I wanted to eliminate the half-lady, include a whole cyclist and the top of the building, and bring up the shadows. I am still not happy about the trash bin and the pile of green rubbish bags, but I ran out of patience.

P9161215-16.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fortunately, The story doesn't end here. I went looking for a better image. The shower was passing and the rainbow was fading. I abandoned my wife on the sidewalk (she forgave me) and ran down to the end of the street into Markt square, where I was fortunate to capture this in the waning seconds of the rainbow's life:

P9161218_01_1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The next challenge is up to you, Rob.

Thanks for the unexpected win, I will start looking for an image for the next challenge. I always love seeing the dramatic lighting after a storm.
Usually it seems I’m driving the car and imagining what a great shot it would be.

2nd Runner-Up: @frankmulder
4th time in a row that I'm in the top 3, but not the winner (which is perfect). Wonder how long I'll be able to keep this up... 🤔😛

Just kidding, it's all about the challenge. Seeing an image, thinking for a while what to do with it, and then achieving what you had it mind, is a very rewarding and educational process. 🙂

Oh and the new rainbow image is awesome. I'm glad you were able to capture it. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom