60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #667 (closed, results posted)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Entry 2 - revisited this picture today. I got to meet one of these in the flesh and I recall it was a pretty vivid blue and yellow - more so than in my first attempt. Seems that I had a lot of out of gamut colour. Masked bird and boosted vibrance.

PPC667_2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Here are links to some of my previously posted portraits of Niele and his cohort of avian entertainers at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort at Poipu:

When I look at some of your entries, I feel like I should have spent a little more time on my processing, so perhaps I will revisit them when I have the time and inspiration. Well done, all!

As @RichardC mentioned, these macaws are quite flashy and vivid, though perhaps not as bright as the most saturated entries. But I think the over-saturation works in accentuating what is special about them. I think that the most natural color is probably @frankmulder 's color entry. Sorry, but I didn't find the B&W entries compelling for this subject.

I intentionally exposed using the histogram to insure I didn't blow out the bright windows, so I would have a chance to bring the background down during processing. I trusted that my E-M5.2 would have sufficient detail left in the shadows to get a good result after processing, and I wasn't disappointed. I think my E-M5.3 is even better in that regard. We would all love more DR and less noise, but it is remarkable just how good even those old 16-Mpixel sensors are. If the next generation is 24-32 Mpixels and same or better noise and DR, I will be quite content.

While it's amazing just how long Niele's tail is, I'm not sure it brings much to the image, especially on most electronic devices. On a large print, I might want the full height, but on my iPad, I preferred the close-up crop.

Tying to judge these is was tough, but my preference was:

Winner: @Robert Davidson #2. I liked the color, exposure adjustments and the close-up crop.

1st Runner-Up: @RichardC #2. The brilliant color worked for me, and the whole image just popped! The 3:2 portrait crop worked well, too. I'm thinking 24-inch metallic print.

2nd Runner-Up, tie:
@frankmulder color entry​
@roboroto #1​

The rest of the pack was not far behind.

Again, thank you to everyone! Your turn again, Robert.

Here are links to some of my previously posted portraits of Niele and his cohort of avian entertainers at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort at Poipu:

When I look at some of your entries, I feel like I should have spent a little more time on my processing, so perhaps I will revisit them when I have the time and inspiration. Well done, all!

As @RichardC mentioned, these macaws are quite flashy and vivid, though perhaps not as bright as the most saturated entries. But I think the over-saturation works in accentuating what is special about them. I think that the most natural color is probably @frankmulder 's color entry. Sorry, but I didn't find the B&W entries compelling for this subject.

I intentionally exposed using the histogram to insure I didn't blow out the bright windows, so I would have a chance to bring the background down during processing. I trusted that my E-M5.2 would have sufficient detail left in the shadows to get a good result after processing, and I wasn't disappointed. I think my E-M5.3 is even better in that regard. We would all love more DR and less noise, but it is remarkable just how good even those old 16-Mpixel sensors are. If the next generation is 24-32 Mpixels and same or better noise and DR, I will be quite content.

While it's amazing just how long Niele's tail is, I'm not sure it brings much to the image, especially on most electronic devices. On a large print, I might want the full height, but on my iPad, I preferred the close-up crop.

Tying to judge these is was tough, but my preference was:

Winner: @Robert Davidson #2. I liked the color, exposure adjustments and the close-up crop.

1st Runner-Up: @RichardC #2. The brilliant color worked for me, and the whole image just popped! The 3:2 portrait crop worked well, too. I'm thinking 24-inch metallic print.

2nd Runner-Up, tie:
@frankmulder color entry​
@roboroto #1​

The rest of the pack was not far behind.

Again, thank you to everyone! Your turn again, Robert.
Thanks Lyle, I'll look for something and get the next comp up soon!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom