60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #663 (closed, results posted)

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
PPC663.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Entry #2: black & white version obtained by applying Nik Silver Efex to entry #1.

PPC663_DxOdBWLL.jpg

PPC663.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
This is not an entry as I have already submitted 2.
Has any of you noticed this clown face?
PPC663_DxO_Web_3-1.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Or this dwarf from the Lord of the Rings? Moustache and all! (Not an entry!)
PPC663_DxO_Web_4.jpg

And, no, I am not smoking anything! Just using my pareidolia!

PPC663-2.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Thank you to everyone who participated. There were many excellent entries and no noticeably bad ones, and a good variety of approaches.

I found a few faces in there, too, Bo. One looked like Homer Simpson (next to Bo's clown) and another like a bridge troll (far left).

My short long list of favorites included entries by @Robert Davidson , @mcgillro , @Kae1 , @Zapp DJR , @RichardC, @Hendrik , and @Zeus1, plus nice B&W entries by @BosseBe , @relic and @frankmulder.

I think you all know my style by now, and I had a preference for entries which balanced the image by brightening the rocks and darkening the sky. I also liked some of the warmer color adjustments and increased local contrast. Two particular effects I found particularly attractive: (1) dodging the "path" brought welcomed additional interest to the foreground; and (2)added attention to highlights on the rocks (as the sun emerged from behind the clouds) increased the drama.

Final results:

Winner: @RichardC #1

1st Runner-Up: @BosseBe #1 B&W

2nd Runner-Up, 3-way tie:
@Robert Davidson #2
@Hendrik
@Zeus1

Special mention to @Zapp DJR for interesting entry #2, with its "Full Moon Noon" lighting.

Back to Richard for the next challenge.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Thank you Lyle. I watched Greg Benz's Lumenzia dodge/burn video for about the sixth time and finally got a grasp of what he was doing to some very similar rocks. It was nice to be able to practice it.

Will post a new challenge in the morning :)

Greg's video is here. Dodging and burning is at 3min 20sec.

He tends to go quite quickly and I often can't keep up with what he's doing. Basically, he adds a layer filled with 50% grey with blend mode set to soft light (which makes it invisible). You then use his Lumenzia panel (or his free action which I can definitely recommend) to make a selection of the mid-light tones, then paint over the selection in white to dodge. Next make another selection of the darks (crevices) and paint over the selection in black to burn in. I found it difficult to follow initially because the marching ants are hidden by default, but once you understand what is happening, it's very straightforward and your adjustments are highly targeted. Brushes need to be on a very low flow, like 2-3%, to be able to control what you are doing.

Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 22.28.02.png

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom