60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #663 (closed, results posted)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
PPC663 web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A cloudy day in Joshua Tree National Park last month.

Raw and JPEG files are here.

The challenge will close at the end of the day Wednesday, May 19th, Seattle local time (UTC-7).

----------
Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:
  • Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed, provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1:
PPC663_DxO_Web_1.jpg

Edit: I should say something about my processing from time to time, so here is a short description of what I did to this image.
I started with the colour version below, used the AGFA APX25 preset from DxO Filmpack lowered the intensity of the preset to 50, then a Red filter to darken the sky, upped the Gamma to 1.10 to make the picture a little lighter without changing the whites and blacks points. Cropped a little bit more.

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2:
PPC663_DxO_Web.jpg

Edit: More processing info: used the standard DxO Preset (lens corrections and Smart Lighting), then ClearView Plus at 25, Contrast (normal, Micro and Fine) to 16, vibrancy and saturation to +20, a slight S-curve on the tone curve, HSL on the Blue and Cyan channels Saturation +30 and Luminance -30 added DeepPrime Noise reduction at 30.
Cropped to 16:9. That's all folks!

Last edited:
Crop , and some minor Colour Efex Pro.

PPC663 copy 2.jpg

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Not much to do, but here we go...

PPC663.jpg

Last edited:

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

PPC663lca20.jpg

Nice photo and I agree, not much to do. Edited raw file in DxO PL4 then tweaked in Elements as usual. Applied Nik Color Efex "sunlight".

PPC663_DxOdLL.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Entry #1
PPC663ar.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Entry #2
PPC663bwr.jpg

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Entry 1

Dodged and burned the rock faces. Desaturated and darkened sand in foreground. Increased saturation and contrast in the sky. Increased saturation and luminance of the green stuff. Cropped. Straightened a little, although I suspect the trees are leaning more than the photographer. Added a vignette and a border. All done in ACR/Photoshop.

EDIT: Lightened the sandy path because I noticed @Hendrik had done it and I shamelessly stole his idea.

PPC663-1.jpg

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Nice scene! Two smart objects, ground and sky, exposure and white balance tweaked separately. Blended in PS with layer mask (again, Select/Sky makes this child's play). Perspective correction, rotation and crop in PS. Some painting to introduce a bit of variety in the illumination, to provide a lead-in as well as to differentiate between sunlit and shadowed areas. I suspect the camera captured a duller scene than you perceived due to the high dynamic range.

PPC663-1.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

PPC663lca22Dn1.jpg

I did this version in Topaz Studio 2
PPC663-studio.jpeg

Real Name
Mike
Crop and a bit of color (mostly saturation) and contrast tweaks just to say I did something? :whistling:

Oh, and I guess I cloned out a little bit of the foreground that was encroaching on the edge of the crop.

PPC663_DP+LC.jpg

todd phillips

Mu-43 Top Veteran
20210518235423-580641a8.jpg

Real Name
Mike
#2 mostly just changed greenish cast I had before

PPC663_DP+LC_v2.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom