60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #655 (closed, results posted)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Wow! So many fine entries make it almost impossible to judge this time. Thank you all for your submissions!

I think only one entry used the pre-stitched image. Most of you worked from the raw files and stitched it yourselves. All the stitches were good; no artifacts were apparent. There were differing opinions of what "straight and level" should be, but none were terribly off.

The interesting things in this are the rotting piles of the broken dock, the fluffy cloud and the mountains in the background. In terms of crop, the far right image in the set didn't add much to the scene and cropping the right hand side usually improved the image. All other things being equal, I thought the best crop was by @RichardC centering the cloud and capturing both mountains. But things weren't all equal, and @Hendrik 's addition for balance made his crop quite good, too.

The colors in the scene didn't really add much to it, and I found the B&W entries equally compelling as the color entries. I think that the "early golden hour" colors by @betamax were the most dramatic. The entry by @Hendrik was the most natural. Among the monochrome entries, I liked the balance of @RichardC and @Kae1 , and the contrast/drama of @BosseBe and @Rob Rider .

The final (difficult) judgement:

Winner: @Hendrik . Using "Baldy" as a balancing enhancement was well conceived and effective. Crop was good. Colors were natural.

1st Runner-Up: @BosseBe #2 (B&W) . Your preferred result in your preferred format.

2nd Runner-Up (TIE):
@Rob Rider #2 (B&W) . The cloud in particular was very dramatic, but the top edge of the sky seemed unnaturally dimmed.
@RichardC both entries. Nice crop and overall processing.

Honorable mention: N-way tie -- Absolutely Everyone. Really nice work all around, folks.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Thanks Lyle, for the perfect spot and for considering B&W!
I have always loved B&W photo, that was what I started out doing in my youth, now we see more B&W entries in these contests so I hope that people are getting it, B&W can work very well for a picture.
Not always of course, but sometimes it fits well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom