60 hour post processing challenge #642 - CLOSED - Winners announced

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
A picture from pre-pandemic North Devon with a number opportunities for some improvement.

P4230153_1000.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The jpg file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjzkrhfz4mwu5f8/P4230153.jpg?dl=0
The RAW ORF file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ii30kii1fr6m75o/P4230153.ORF?dl=0

Challenge will close at 11.59PM GMT on Sunday, March 7th 2021.

----------

Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:
  • Images provided by Challenge Masters must be their own. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • Compositing is allowed provided the use of the donor image does not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

P4230153lca2.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #1
P4230153_DxO_Web_1.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Entry #2
P4230153_DxO_Web.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

P4230153lca3.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 1

PPC642A.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 2

PPC642_01_1BW.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
Entry #1
P4230153cr.jpg

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
Entry #2
P4230153bwar.jpg

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2. Cropped entry #1, tried to remove the blue car, and applied Kodachrome 25 emulation using DxO FilmPack 5.

P4230153_DxOdc_Kodachrom25LL.jpg

Last edited:

roboroto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mike
I couldn't bear to crop out the bottom seagull. A bit of range compression, exposure, contrast, the usual things, and lightened up the water in the foreground in DT3.4.

P4230153_edited.jpg

roboroto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mike
Portrait crop (ack, the seagull). Little more tweak to water and also noticed that without the right side to balance, the green on the upper-left is much too strong so I reduced the contrast there.

P4230153_edited_alt.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Exposure in Adobe Camera Raw, herding in Photoshop.

P4230153-1.jpg

Just tried to make this look nice. I used the select tab / sky to select the sky- a good time saver and made it a bit darker. I dodged the rocks on the wall behind the bridge and burned the rocks in the river. It looks like a nice place to visit.

P4230153.jpg

A different crop. I went vertical to save the nice curve of the river.
P4230153v.jpg

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
A few things to correct here. The image doesn't look like the sharpest I ever made and the horizon isn't level. Contrast is a bit flat. Crop is bottom heavy.

I'm seeing haloing in a few entries so too much sharpening isn't helping.

Not a great deal to choose between some entries, but a decision needs to be made so we can play again. I'm going by what looks good on my screen so results are of course highly subjective.

1st place goes to @Robert Davidson - good compromises made in sharpening, colour and crop.
2nd to @Kae1 #2 - shares many similarities with 1st place but a little less saturated
3rd to @Rob Rider #1 - really like the punchiness but looks a little too sharp for me - you dodged a bullet here.

The place is Lynmouth UK, somewhere I've visited many times since childhood. It was the scene of a devastating flood in the 1950s with many of the boulders in my shot having been washed down the river from the surrounding hills.

I stayed at the thatched hotel in the background as a child. For some peculiar reason which I never found out, my parents decided to make a very very early start home, so we left at 4am with all of our stuff and had to be super quiet as little mice so as not to wake anyone inside (or outside) the hotel ;)

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom