60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #636 (closed, results posted)

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

PPC636 - 1lca4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Entry 2.

Painted in some colour correction using hue/saturation adjustment layers and layer masks.

PPC636-2.jpg

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: Cropped entry #1, fooled around with content aware fill* in Elements (resulting in a somewhat messy result I think) and used very slightly warmer colors**.
* to remove Uncle Bob.
**I think I like to keep the colors warm when the scene is lit by warm light.

PPC636_DxOdcLL5.jpg

Last edited:

roboroto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mike
Tighter crop and some more exposure and color tweaks.

PPC636_edited_alt.jpg

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

PPC636 - lca5pDn.jpg

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I like the slice-of-life quality of the photo. So, for me, one task was to crop in order to preserve context and remove distractions. The other was to attempt to partially reconcile the color issues enough to be able to shove them to the side. The major color work was accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw, via two luminance range masks: one for the bright, sunlit portions (color temp and tint boosts) and the other for the upper mid tones (i.e., skin, potatos, etc., pulling color temp and tint down). In Photoshop proper: a curves layer for the upper tones utilizing a mask enhanced from the red channel - attempting to get the steepest slope through the skin values to preserve facial modeling. Then a desaturation layer aimed primarily at moderating the orange illumination from the tent roof, especially on skin.

PPC636-1.jpg

Last edited:
With apologies to Uncle Bob I've made a new entry.
PPC636bw.jpg

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Cropped Nik B & W, antique, green filter, added some grain for an older look.

PPC636 Nik antique added grain green filter-Edit.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Normal processing in DxO PL2 followed by crop.
PPC636_DxO_edited.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Apologies. My day didn't unfold as I expected, and I am late with the results.

Thanks to all of you for trying my difficult challenge! I was impressed with the number of entries and different takes on solving the issues of the original. The two main things I was looking at was how folks handled the color and the crop. More natural colors and making a pleasant crop around the money exchange is what appealed to me. I am going to skip the rest of the analysis and cut to the chase.

Winner: @roboroto entry #2. I need to look at that color calibration module in darktable.

1st Runner-Up: @Kae1. Great color! Would have preferred a slightly tighter crop.

2nd Runner-Up 3-way tie:
@mumu entry #1, my favorite B&W entry (although entry #2 was enlightening, as well as entertaining).
@Zapp DJR entry #2.
@Robert Davidson entry #2.

Honorable mentions to: @RichardC #2, @Hendrik and @Rob Rider #2 (my 2nd fav B&W)

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
I think this is exactly what the new color calibration module in DT3.4 is useful for. The problem is that we'll need to wait for a user who actually can do the right things with it.
The color calibration module, besides bringing better color to darktable in general, has at least one feature that could be considered particularly useful in a mixed lighting scene like this one: the gamut compression does a decent job of curbing the extreme colors you get when the yellowish light hits the yellowish objects, and the buish light hits the bluish objects, etc... for this late quickie edit I cranked it to 3... also worth playing with for difficult scenes like this is the adaptation model (I seem to end up using CAT16 for pretty much anything other than straightforward daylight) as well as the "preserve chrominance" setting in the filmic module (subjectively chose RGB euclidean norm here). Also reduced the blue in the "colorfulness" tab of the color calibration module. I probably won't like the results if I look at them again later, but for whatever it's worth, here's my take:

PPC636.jpg

The edit info is included in the file metadata, so it should be possible to load it into darktable as if it was an XMP sidecar file to see exactly what's going on for anyone who wants to.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom