60 hour post processing challenge #635 - results

todd phillips

Mu-43 Top Veteran
PS Todd - you get my vote - so please can you give us all a bit more on how you set about getting the "Kodachrome" look - you absolutely nailed the look of my Dad's 1960's slide cellection !

Thanks! In Rawtherapee under the Color tab/module, here's how it was looking with just auto WB without the film emulation:
20210210110430-9dbf12f7.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then with the 60's clut:
20210210110432-36c8f53d.jpg

I got this pack of cluts from a share on the pixls.us RT forum a long time ago. Wish I'd have bookmarked the thread. Some interesting cluts in that mix and they aren't part of the main clut pack that the RT group makes available on the Rawpedia page.

Then with some additional Provia simulation RGB curves just to bump the contrast a bit but still in a filmy direction:
20210210110428-ba9c3791.jpg

Then in Gimp/Nik-CFX, this screenshot shows I did add some tonal contrast and a GND and then Kodachrome Pro 64
20210210110434-4dfc1d49-xx.jpg

I adjusted the opacity of the tone curve and the overall filter to taste.. Too strong of the overall filter led to a way oversaturated look to my eyes. And too much tone curver made it too bright.
20210210110436-f0b609a6-xx.jpg

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
Entry No 1
Processed ORF in Affinity Photo
The Usual HSL, White Balance, Color Select, Brightness and Contrast

20121532 re02.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
My favorite time of day. Lovely!
Exposure tweaks in Adobe Camera Raw.
Perspective correction and cropping in Photoshop.

20121532-1.jpg

todd phillips

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Entry #2
20210210143842-94c97bd7.jpg

For halibuts' sake. Played with the idea of stacking film filters, so added two more film filters (Provia 100F and I forget which other) at varying (pretty low) opacities, same as with Kodachrome on other entry...

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry 2

1613003253501.jpeg

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
20210201_103711_20121532_challenge.jpg

I did a re-crop (obviously) and used several grad and radial filters. I adjusted the Dehaze filter to fog up the background trees and changed the white balance and hue to add a warmer look.
The hue and saturation of the foreground grass stalks were warmed up and their clarity/texture was turned up as well. Grass colour was also adjusted.

Last edited:

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Closed for entries.
A lot of nice ones posted 🙂

Business day just started here, I'll try to make evaluation whenever possible, latest afternoon / evening GMT.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Nice entries, thank you all.

Had to spend some time on the selection, it was not easy.
Some of my thoughts:

Tighter crops (sides) brings IMO to much attention to the "bush", and in some of them line of the distant trees looks strange / disturbed due to the variation in the stands density).
Could not decide what to do with the water covered with ice and snow: looks like a film grain. Two cases works for me: to make it more grainy, or to smoothen it.
Although it was a hazy day, I prefer more clear view, especially on the trees line.
The above and overall image impression results in:

Runner 2: @Hendrik - overall
Runner 1: @RichardC entry 2 - like that ice surface
Winner: @WhidbeyLVR entry 2 - reflects my mood for the scene

It's your turn Lyle.

PS. Somehow expected an image showing subs periscope or a kiosk, emerging from the lake. Maybe next time.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Nice entries, thank you all.

Had to spend some time on the selection, it was not easy.
Some of my thoughts:

Tighter crops (sides) brings IMO to much attention to the "bush", and in some of them line of the distant trees looks strange / disturbed due to the variation in the stands density).
Could not decide what to do with the water covered with ice and snow: looks like a film grain. Two cases works for me: to make it more grainy, or to smoothen it.
Although it was a hazy day, I prefer more clear view, especially on the trees line.
The above and overall image impression results in:

Runner 2: @Hendrik - overall
Runner 1: @RichardC entry 2 - like that ice surface
Winner: @WhidbeyLVR entry 2 - reflects my mood for the scene

It's your turn Lyle.

PS. Somehow expected an image showing subs periscope or a kiosk, emerging from the lake. Maybe next time.
Thanks, Darek! I always appreciate the efforts of the person hosting and judging the challenge. We had snow here yesterday evening—- just a few slushy flakes that mostly melted when they hit the ground. No sign of them this morning.

There were many good entries, but no humorous ones this time. The silly ones are fun, but rarely take the ribbons, I guess.

I will try to get the new challenge up in a few hours.

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks! In Rawtherapee under the Color tab/module, here's how it was looking with just auto WB without the film emulation:

View attachment 873098
Kodachrome colours!

Todd - you are a superstar - thank you so much for that help -----

----- and even more helpful - you are showing us how to use a free software programme - as RawTherapee is available for Mac, Linux and PC !!!

Once more the MU43 readership have proven to be a great bunch -I can't wait to give it a try. For others interested - the home page is https://rawtherapee.com/

I had previously tried a lot of suggested "formulas" for setting photoshop sliders but it always ended up like a witches potion !

Many thanks !!!! Paul C in the UK

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom