60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #627 (closed, results posted)

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
Entry #2: BW rendition of pano. Lots of Viveza control points. This time left the foreground bush but darkened it selectively.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2. I applied Nik Silver Efex to convert entry #1 to B&W (also tried to straighten it a bit).

You don't understand. My pandemic life has come down to things which require the internet. So no TV, no news, no pizza, no m43. If I sound frantic and crazed, that's cuz I am! 🤣🤪

For the curious:

http://pse.com/outagemap
I sympathize with your situation. I hope you'll get the power back soon.

Last edited:
Real Name
Sue
You don't understand. My pandemic life has come down to things which require the internet. So no TV, no news, no pizza, no m43. If I sound frantic and crazed, that's cuz I am! 🤣🤪

For the curious:

http://pse.com/outagemap
Oh my ! Things are looking a little bleak on Whidbey Island :-( Poor Lyle :-(

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I took a different approach to this challenge. I imagined what it'd be like to be above the top of those waterfalls on the other side of the valley, looking at the photographer. It took a bit of work in Photoshop, and I'll admit to doing a minor sky replacement, but I think the results are convincing.

;-)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Oh my ! Things are looking a little bleak on Whidbey Island :-( Poor Lyle :-(
View attachment 868520
Thanks for the consolation. BTW, I live at the north end of the island. Apparently, the windstorm that killed our power also killed the cable lines. I got my old generator running yesterday to salvage the freezer full of food, but the cable modem was a no-go.

The storm also blew a tractor/trailer rig over as it was crossing the Deception Pass Bridge (our most convenient route off the island). The rig didn’t fall off, but it closed the bridge for many hours.

Anyway, after 42 hours, still no power, and no estimate of when we will get power and cable running again. I am going to leave the challenge open until we get power or end-of-day Friday, whichever is first. I really don’t want to judge this based on my smartphone display.

I currently have a poor connection to the cell network. Atmospheric conditions must be just right. I had zero connection most of the day, so poor is a big improvement.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
@WhidbeyLVR I would suggest you leave the challenge open until you have the possibility to do the judging, if we have to wait a couple of days doesn't matter.
I fully understand that you don't want to do the judging on your phone.

Hope you get the power and the cable back soon!

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
View attachment 868550
I took a different approach to this challenge. I imagined what it'd be like to be above the top of those waterfalls on the other side of the valley, looking at the photographer. It took a bit of work in Photoshop, and I'll admit to doing a minor sky replacement, but I think the results are convincing.

;-)
Very nice!

I took this photo looking back, but did not make the hike out to the falls (of which you may see a hint, at the lower left).

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Ok, I was able to use my phone this afternoon as a hotspot and view the entries on my iPad, which isn’t as good as my big monitor, but is good enough. No, I still don’t have power back, and my desktop system is in a part of the house not wired into the generator switch panel. So here goes.

First, I didn’t find any of the B&W versions preferable to the color versions. The relative lack of haze, flat lighting, and (as Sue said) high level of detail made it hard to appreciate the various layers and geological features. Special mention to @Zapp DJR for his interesting ”dark and stormy night” version, but it still didn’t work for me.

Second, I liked entries including the waterfall better than those without.

Third, even though I provided two images to stitch, I thought the far right of the right hand image provided little of interest. I thought Richard’s crop was nearly perfect.

Fourth, vastly improving the challenge image by totally replacing it (I’m looking at you, @mumu ) is too embarrassing for the Challenge Master, so I therefore rebuff such efforts with a sniff and a handwave. :laugh:

Winner: @RichardC . I think I prefer the entry 1 colors, but entry 2 was good, too.

1st Runner-Up: @BosseBe entry #1.

2nd Runner-Up, 3-way tie:

Thanks to everyone who entered. I’m sorry my tech problems interfered with things, so thank you again for your understanding.

Passing the baton back to Richard.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the win was stolen from me and I'd like to overturn the results. Who's with me?!!

** apologies if that's too close to political humour **

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Update: Power restored a few minutes ago, and cable is running too!
That's great news. Almost civilised then.

Thank you for the win - it was a tricky pair of images. I agree with the BW sentiments - there's just too much going on IMO.

It's early here. I'll find an image for a new challenge in a few hours. I am of course happy to concede defeat in the event of any perceived injustice owing to judging equipment failure.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
That's great news. Almost civilised then.

Thank you for the win - it was a tricky pair of images. I agree with the BW sentiments - there's just too much going on IMO.

It's early here. I'll find an image for a new challenge in a few hours. I am of course happy to concede defeat in the event of any perceived injustice owing to judging equipment failure.
Only problem with conceding is that I would have to pick it up as the runner up! :crying:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom