60-hour Post Processing Challenge #620 - Closed

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
Attempt # 1

_H0B5899 re01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan B
my first attempt
_H0B5899.jpeg

ORF that (not really) developed in darktable. Then playing with some layering blend, desaturating, and a curve in gimp...

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan B
second attempt
_H0B5899.jpg

The first attempt but with extracting some colours and playing with layering blend again. Still in gimp

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Welcome to the forum and this thread @ivanbae07

Well done, folks, congratulations. I asked for creativity and I got it. Very well done!

A couple of you went in the direction I had intended at the time I shot the image. Some of you went in other directions entirely. All of them were lots of fun to look at, judging not so much. My sympathies lie in the direction of the frame I have included below the rankings. If I were to choose on this basis alone, the three finalists would be relic #1 (3), BosseBe #1 (2) and WhidbeyLVR #2 (W). But, what about creativity? Then the three finalists would be betamax (3), Zeus1 #2, RichardC #1 (W). And then there were the HDR-ish entries. The three finalists would be rpatodia #1 (3), WhidbeyLVR #1 (2) and Rob Rider #2 (W). So, what to do with so many winners? Choose arbitrarily, that’s what.

Honorable mention: @ivanbae07 - a fine debut, indeed.

Second runner-up: @Rob Rider #2. Excellent work on lifting shadows and balancing exposures.

First runner-up: @WhidbeyLVR #2. The chiaroscuro sure works for me!

Winner: @RichardC #1. Creative use of the original! Everybody should look at it again and particularly note the shadow of the window frame imitating the lighting of the “photograph”. Tres cool!

The evening's activity was to photograph something, anything in the bowl made by my daughter-in-law. The challenge image was the last frame I shot in the dialing-in process. Looking carefully at it, I identified a poison pill that was not evident to me simply looking at the arrangement in the dim light. The next frame was my keeper.

_H0B5900m43.jpg

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Thank you @Hendrik - it was a good composition to start with. @WhidbeyLVR 's image processing is a tough act to follow with really well saturated colours and a very clean image.

I've studied quite a lot of composited pictures and watched a few tutorials (I am 'tutorial man' since March). The consensus is that they tend to be more believable if you have something to tie your various elements together, hence the shadows. If I did it again, perhaps a coffee mat or another photo covering a corner of the polaroid frame would also be worth a try?

Talking of tutorials - this week's has been 'Photoshop for designers: Textures' by Nigel French on Lynda/Linkedin.

I'll dig up a picture for the next challenge shortly.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom