60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #614 (closed, results announced)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I just checked with ExifTool and it says Lumix 20/1.7.
So it seems Irfanview somehow got it wrong, does anyone know how the lens name is stored in Exif? Is as a string or is it a code?
If it is a code that could explain it!

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
So it seems Irfanview somehow got it wrong, does anyone know how the lens name is stored in Exif? Is as a string or is it a code?
I opened the raw file in Olympus Workspace and exported a new Full Resolution jpg file, if anyone cares. The original jpg was a lower res file, direct from the camera (to save space used in RAW+JPG storing mode). I also used ExifTool to dump the EXIF info into a text file, for the curious. Both are here, same place as the original files.

As far as I can tell, IrfanView simply got it wrong (and still gets it wrong on the new version). There is no info in the EXIF dump about the m.Z 14-42, although there is a "lens properties 0x4110" which may be the culprit.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
No, the lens name is not written in clear in the Exif as provided by the camera. It is a code number, and from this code the lens type is deduced by some software such as Exiftools or Irfanview. I had an exchange of emails once with the creator of Exiftools, because one of my lenses (a Sigma 24mm Canon EF mount) was identified as a Canon 28mm (hence had the same code as the 28mm) but reported a focal length of 24mm. So as I understand it, he added a condition for if the focal length is 24, then the lens is Sigma 24 and not Canon 28. After that revision, Exiftools was reporting the correct lens type.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: converted entry #1 to B&W using Nik Silver Efex.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Thank you to all participants. The entries were varied and all great! I expected quite a few B&W entries, and wasn't disappointed. What I did not expect were some of the more colorful entries, which were a treat.

I want to make one (hopefully constructive) comment. @mcgillro : Rose, your replacement sky was beautiful, but I didn't see the light and color of the sky reflected in the water, so it felt artificial.

Also, one special mention to @Zeus1 : Thank you for cropping out that ugly waterfront condo and moving the waterfowl (ducks, I think) back into the frame. Not a fan of that condo.

As I said, entries were superb, but after repeated viewing of them all, I came down to my favorite five, and the following results:

Winner: @RichardC -- I loved them both, but the "wacky" one was my favorite, because it surprised me.

1st Runner-Up: @whatisinthebag -- My favorite of the B&W entries. Strong structure and moderate low-key exposure.

2nd Runner-Up, a 3-way B&W tie: These B&W entries were also well executed.
@BosseBe B&W -- low-key look with slight cyan tint and great detail.​
@Zeus1 #2 -- the high-key look, the crop. . . just ducky!​
@relic #2 -- a nicely executed and balanced full-tonal-range entry.​
Isn't Nik Silver Efex a great tool?

So Richard is up again. Done here.

Real Name
Sue
Thank you to all participants. The entries were varied and all great! I expected quite a few B&W entries, and wasn't disappointed. What I did not expect were some of the more colorful entries, which were a treat.

I want to make one (hopefully constructive) comment. @mcgillro : Rose, your replacement sky was beautiful, but I didn't see the light and color of the sky reflected in the water, so it felt artificial.

Also, one special mention to @Zeus1 : Thank you for cropping out that ugly waterfront condo and moving the waterfowl (ducks, I think) back into the frame. Not a fan of that condo.

As I said, entries were superb, but after repeated viewing of them all, I came down to my favorite five, and the following results:

Winner: @RichardC -- I loved them both, but the "wacky" one was my favorite, because it surprised me.

1st Runner-Up: @whatisinthebag -- My favorite of the B&W entries. Strong structure and moderate low-key exposure.

2nd Runner-Up, a 3-way B&W tie: These B&W entries were also well executed.
@BosseBe B&W -- low-key look with slight cyan tint and great detail.​
@Zeus1 #2 -- the high-key look, the crop. . . just ducky!​
@relic #2 -- a nicely executed and balanced full-tonal-range entry.​
Isn't Nik Silver Efex a great tool?

Well done Richard!

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
My B&W effort:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks - good point.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom