60-hour Post Processing Challenge #608 - Closed-Winner announced

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Darn! Too late to enter, but here is mine
A whole new approach in DT...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
So the winner is...
Wait for it!

I will start with saying I like what you all have done.
This time I went for something I normally don't like, sky replacement.
Just because it makes the picture better in my opiniion.
But not all of the sky replacements made the list.

@mcgillro I love the sky, but the sun is in the wrong place, look at the highlights on the buildings, the sun is out of camera right! I actually works for the left most side of the picture because there the sun is in a plausible place.

I like B&W, but this time only the 2nd runner up is a B&W:
2nd runner up: @todd phillips, crisp and clear, shadows and highlight well managed.
So we actually have sky replacement pictures on both first places.
1st runner up: @WhidbeyLVR, Nice wide look at Stockholm, I would have preferred to have more of the sky in the picture.
Winner (takes it all): @RichardC #2, very strange to see a picture you have taken yourself turned into something else. well done!

Take it away Richard!

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So the winner is...
Wait for it!

I will start with saying I like what you all have done.
This time I went for something I normally don't like, sky replacement.
Just because it makes the picture better in my opiniion.
But not all of the sky replacements made the list.

@mcgillro I love the sky, but the sun is in the wrong place, look at the highlights on the buildings, the sun is out of camera right! I actually works for the left most side of the picture because there the sun is in a plausible place.
Yes I was aware that the angles didn't match, but didn't have time to figure out how adjust it, so decided to post it anyway. Not sure whether to persist with Luminar - not usually into replacing skies etc ....
Thanks for the feedback.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Yes I was aware that the angles didn't match, but didn't have time to figure out how adjust it, so decided to post it anyway. Not sure whether to persist with Luminar - not usually into replacing skies etc ....
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm in the same boat. Adding sunrays and whatnot is more of a novelty.

Not sure what to make of Luminar, seems like I process a photo and it looks ok, but after posting or looking at it for a few days it feels overcooked and harsh. I've started to pick specific photos that have issues and processing in both Luminar and DT both just to compare. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I have Luminar 3, so no sky replacement, but no $ either as it was a free download. I think the key to Luminar is to turn everything down. Pretty sure the default overcooks on purpose so you can readily see the changes. Kind of backwards to me.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

Not sure what to make of Luminar, seems like I process a photo and it looks ok, but after posting or looking at it for a few days it feels overcooked and harsh. I've started to pick specific photos that have issues and processing in both Luminar and DT both just to compare. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I have Luminar 3, so no sky replacement, but no $ either as it was a free download. I think the key to Luminar is to turn everything down. Pretty sure the default overcooks on purpose so you can readily see the changes. Kind of backwards to me.
My opinion is that these Ai programs are very good, but are not good enough to produce a final result with one click - human input is very much still required.

A sky replacement/composite for this competition is fairly straightforward due to the low resolution limitation in the rules.

I am quite taken with the Photoshop system, not because it's better than Luminar (I have 3/4), but because it is easily customisable with instant and easy access to all of the necessary files and masks - essential if you are creating reflections to tie the new sky to your original picture.

Last edited:

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've started processing in both Luminar and LR which is my default.

I agree about the over processing in Luminar .... I have a standalone LR (6.14 I think), so am wondering if they'll pull the plug at some stage, which is why I'm trying Luminar.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom