60 Hour Post-processing Challenge #606

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entr #2: I decided that I should include the corner on the right.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
To start the proceedings, let’s hear it for the E-M5. On the first day I had it, I took it out and shot a high dynamic range scene to see how well the shadows could be recovered. It did as well as my then daily carry, a Nikon D90, so that was not a reason to return it. I never found one,

As @Zeus1 asked, how to make something out of nothing. Is the image as simple as it seems? If not, then what? What’s the story? All different sorts of answers and there’s lots to like in each…

The two major axes on which I pondered were exposure and composition, and how together they suggested a mood. I included the first image to give you a clue to what one might have seen out the window, None of you had any difficulty discovering what information was in the shadows. As to balancing the two, you all had different takes on where to land on the continuum between believability and punch or between mystery and legibility. For myself, when I worked on this directly after returning from the trip, I found myself staying closer to believability, trying to reveal only enough to suggest a sense that outside the window lies a more desirable place to be than the interior.

Enough pretentious nonsense.

Second Runner-up @relic #2 - I agree that the right-hand corner is essential to establish the crudity of the space.
First Runner-up @WhidbeyLVR #2 - really fine B&W rendering, effective crop.

Winner @Robert Davidson #2 - preserving the skew of the window frame pushed it into winner for me.

Take it away Robert!

I played along, too. Below, a somewhat contrarian view, somewhat moodier than my first efforts. Portrait orientation with a barely discernible vignette, accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom