60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #598 - now closed. Winners Announced!

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Challenge #598 is now closed. Winners below....

Want to say that I either like or do not like an image and it may take me a while to figure out why, assuming I want to verbalize my instincts. That said, I usually like (or don't like) an image because of more than its processing, so this was challenging because there are no wrong choices - just artistic experimentation. It is always interesting to see what others do, so this is quite a treat for me to see what each of you has done.... Now, though it was very close....

First in color goes to - rpatodia (just liked the more dramatic color and toning than the original) - And it is your turn to start a new challenge, if I understand the rules correctly!! :)
2nd - Robert Davidson
3rd - WhidbayLVR

For B&W -
1st - zeus1
2nd - relic
3rd - Hendrik

Also, todd phillips did a rather interesting geometric treatment of the image that I think is really great. What Todd does not know is that I have an entire portfolio of work based on a similar approach, but I build each image by hand in Photoshop. Thanks for posting!

Note that I will post my processed color and B&W images after this posts. Thanks to all!!

Post-Processing Challenge Rules:

1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge. Please mark entries clearly by number.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the Challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

• The image(s) used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own. Source images are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge and are not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original source material.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are encouraged to enter their best efforts even if this means replacing versions. Please do this by exchanging your latest effort with the image you wish to remove. You may note the replacement in a comment in the edited posting.
  • Entrants are also encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Images to work with are here -

CHALLENGE_1050577.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First time trying to set something like this on any forum - let me know if It is working (fingers crossed)!! Thanks for participating!!

Bill

Attachments

• CHALLENGE_1050577.jpg
    CHALLENGE_1050577.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Beautiful picture of an interesting sculpture!
Used the raw file in DxO PL3.
Entry #1:
_1050577_DxO_Web.jpg

@say_doyster I guess the best confirmation to give you that everything is alright is to get an entry in!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
And as usual a B&W from the above.
Entry #2:
_1050577_DxO_Web_1.jpg

protapic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
NIK tools (Color Efex Pro 4)

598-01.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
I was able to see it, too. I missed my close-up opportunity. Here was my view from the top of Hallgrímskirkja:

DSCF3367.JPG

Zoom... enhance... zoom... enhance... ?

DSCF3373.JPG

We also walked by much closer, but on the wrong side of the highway. No pic, though.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry #1

PPC598_01B.jpg

From the raw file, through DxO PL3 and into Gimp/Nik. Added a bit of sky at the top to give some relief to the "drake" (or maybe “dreki”) on the bow.

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Fantastic sculpture, almost too much, so, simplifying. Accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw.

PPC598-2.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
#2, same crop, before monochrome but veering into the colder tones

PPC598-1.jpg

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
Very nice. Edited raw file in DxO PL2, then tweaked in Elements. Very minor adjustments, mostly of light levels. Edit: I replaced entry with a brighter version.

_1050577_DxOdLL2.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice shot. processed in ACR and PS.
#1.
_1050577.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Beautiful structure & pic. Normal adjustments in DxO PL2
_1050577_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Used Nik Color Effex on above
_1050577_Nik_DxO.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Entry #2

PPC598_01C.jpg

Processed to emphasize the contours rather than the color and texture.

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
Played with some filters on my first entry.
#2.

_10505772.jpg

todd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
todd
20201007195128-a962d3d9.jpg

g'mic/symmetrize playtime

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: B&W version, converted using Nik Silver Efex.

_1050577_DxOdBWLL.jpg

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Just for the fun of it, below are my two treatments for the image posted. I always take my color image, desaturate it, and then adjust brightness of the varied colors to get a quick B&W look that i can live with. Otherwise I use individual color channels to build the B&W and then use "select color adjustments" to fine tune. I know there are other ways, but old habits die young and I like the control and the process. :)

CHALLENGE_COLOR_RWD_1050577.jpg
x
CHALLENGE_1050577_BW_RWD.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Sorry but I can't see a message about the winner?
You seem to have edited your OP, that does not show up as a new message so I think all of us will probably miss that.
Please create a new message to declare the winner. ;)

And please declare an overall winner!
We usually have Winner, 1st runner uo, 2nd runner up regardless of colour or B&W.
It is of course great to grade both colour and B&W, but to be able to continue this contest series we need an overall winner and 1st and 2nd runner ups.

Well Hendrick didn't miss it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom