60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #597 (closed, results announced)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
PPC597web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Raw and JPG files are here.

Challenge will close at 7:00 AM Monday morning, October 5th, Seattle local time (PDT or UTC-7).

-----
Post-Processing Challenge Rules:
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge. Please mark entries clearly by number.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the Challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:
  • The image(s) used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own. Source images are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge and are not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original source material.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are encouraged to enter their best efforts even if this means replacing versions. Please do this by exchanging your latest effort with the image you wish to remove. You may note the replacement in a comment in the edited posting.
  • Entrants are also encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Stumbled on this and find it interesting - here is my attempt.

Imported the .ORF file in ACR_Photoshop with limited adjustments (file was very well exposed!!). Used layer blending modes to isolate areas for adjustment - the only actual use of an image adjustment "tool"occurs when I de-saturate a layer that uses "Overlay" or "Softlight" Did not change the size or retouch any part of the image.

NOTE: First time I have posted on this forum and did not realize I could insert the image directly into the post. Edited to do so.

RWD_REV_PPC597_SUBMIT.jpg

EDIT_TWO

Had to mull this over a bit, bur realized (inspired by others who have posted) to try and make a slightly tinted black and white version of this. Also, the more I look at this image the more I like it. Really appreciate everyones efforts and especially the photo posted for us to work on. Thanks Lyle!!

RWD_REV_PPC597_TINTED_BW_SUBMIT.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
Tweeked in ACR and PS. Beautiful scene nothing much to adjust.
#1.
PPC597.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
The usual stuff in DxO PL3 with the ORF file.
Entry #1:
PPC597_DxO_Web.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
And as usual a B&W from the above.
Entry #2:
PPC597_DxO_Web_1.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Lovely scene. I did minimal adjustments as it was already great. Edited raw file in DxO PL2 (some light levels/contrast changes, and tried to level image. Then tweaked a bit in Elements, again light levels and the like, reduced saturation, and added a minimal amount of vignetting.

PPC597_DxOdcLL.jpg

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Lovely, peaceful scene. It looks like a great day to be tied up, rather than bobbing about, attempting to catch wind. Sorry Suva wasn't on the near side of the dock, but then it might have had an unexplained mast sticking out of her pilot house.

All accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw from the raw file. There were three sliders I didn't touch on the basic panel: Shadows, Vibrance and Saturation. Except for the crop, no other adjustments. I imagine this is what it really looked like - at iso200, my E-M5.2 likes 1/320 at f/5.6 on sunny days, perhaps a bit darker to accommodate bright white objects.

PPC597-2.jpg

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Lovely, peaceful scene. It looks like a great day to be tied up, rather than bobbing about, attempting to catch wind. Sorry Suva wasn't on the near side of the dock, but then it might have had an unexplained mast sticking out of her pilot house.

All accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw from the raw file. There were three sliders I didn't touch on the basic panel: Shadows, Vibrance and Saturation. Except for the crop, no other adjustments. I imagine this is what it really looked like - at iso200, my E-M5.2 likes 1/320 at f/5.6 on sunny days, perhaps a bit darker to accommodate bright white objects.

View attachment 850461
Something's weird with that image. It isn't showing up for me.

Jimflip

New to Mu-43
Great photo! (and also "hello" from neighboring Camano)

Photo 1 - Ran the Raw through Luminar 4 & let selected the AI 100% option. (Comparing the machine output to the prior entrants "manual" submissions, I think us humans are safe for a little while yet. ?)
Luminar AI.jpeg

Photo 2 - Again, took the Raw and adjusted the individual RGB Levels, effectively just cropping the histogram. Creates an "interesting" output, albeit a tad bright.

Affinity.jpg

Thanks for letting me play along - have a great weekend, all!

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Great photo! (and also "hello" from neighboring Camano)

Photo 1 - Ran the Raw through Luminar 4 & let selected the AI 100% option. (Comparing the machine output to the prior entrants "manual" submissions, I think us humans are safe for a little while yet. ?)
View attachment 850500

Photo 2 - Again, took the Raw and adjusted the individual RGB Levels, effectively just cropping the histogram. Creates an "interesting" output, albeit a tad bright.

View attachment 850501

Thanks for letting me play along - have a great weekend, all!
Welcome. We were over on Camano Island a few weeks ago. We had a good time, but the light wasn't particularly inspiring for photos.

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Nice picture. Usual adjustments in DxO PL2
PPC597_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Used Nik Silver Effex on above to get B&W version
PPC597_Nik_DxO.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
#2, more about the hulls than the masts. Some selective darkening in Adobe Camera Raw.

PPC597-3.jpg

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
Wow GREAT shot
I like this one to process. It does not need much work
Processed .jpg in Affinity Photo

PPC597 je03.jpg

Fred S

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Fred S
Attempt # 2 B&W

PPC597 je03 B&W.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom