60-Hour Post-Processing Challenge #597 (closed, results announced)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Thank you to all who entered, including our two newcomers, @say_doyster and @Jimflip ! Nice jobs by one and all.

For whatever reason, judging this was tougher than usual for me. Anyway, here are my choices.

Winner: @say_doyster #1. Great contrast, nice colors. A little darker than I took it (see below), but nice.

1st Runner-Up: @Robert Davidson #1. Nice, as always.

2nd Runner-Up: @Hendrik #1. I suspect you are right, and the actual day was bright/hazy, but you know I'm a sucker for increasing local contrast and dialing down the exposure a bit. The crop was great, and the rest of the processing was to your usual high standards.

The tighter crops by Hendrik and Robert were both interesting. I can't decide which I liked better, because they emphasized different aspects of the image. But my favorite crops were Hendrik's (#1) and Fred's.

Of the monochrome entries, I think I liked @Fred S best, as I liked it's tonal values. Fred, your warm color entry was also very nice. The dreamy blurring of the sky and its reflection in both entries seemed too noticeable for me.

@rpatodia , both your entries seemed a bit over-sharpened, and your lighter tones felt suppressed.

@BosseBe and @relic , I found the colors in your entries a bit too "glacial" blue and lacking warmth. Bo, your B&W was just too dark for me. Relic, when you brightened Mount Baker, it ended up looking strangely blurry.

@Jimflip , I liked your hand-edited, warm color version much better than the "auto" mode, but the highlights on the boats look blown.

So the honors for the next challenge fall to @say_doyster . You can copy-and-paste the boilerplate and provide your image(s) and closing date. If you have questions, just ask.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
My best attempt:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

B&W:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Lyle,

Thanks so much! Really interesting set of challenges. I have several meetings this morning and will look for an image to post as soon as I am done. Will reach out as soon as I have one ready - may need a bit of help to get this right. Looking forward to getting Challenge #598 off the ground.

Bill

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Question, can I upload the RAW and "flat" JPEG file directly into the challenge post?

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Question, can I upload the RAW and "flat" JPEG file directly into the challenge post?
No. The forum only accepts jpgs and, if necessary, resizes them to 1600 px on the long side. The usual practice is to size a "flat" jpg for the forum and insert that into the original post. Full size files need to be made available elsewhere. Normally, I use dropbox, others have other file sharing services.

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Bo, I had forgotten I have Google Drive - hope I used it correctly... Challenge #598 has been posted. 🙃

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom