60 Hour Post-Processing Challenge #595 (closed, results annnounced)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
PPC595web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PPC#592, by @Rob Rider lead me to rediscover a small cache of previously unprocessed photos from Sedona, AZ taken six years ago. Thanks, Rob! This is Oak Creek at Slide Rock State Park. I am including 2 exposures. Use whatever works for you.

Raw and JPG files are here.

BONUS TIME INCLUDED! Challenge will close at noon, Sunday September 27th, Seattle local time (PDT or UTC-7).

-----
Post-Processing Challenge Rules:
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge. Please mark entries clearly by number.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the Challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:
  • The image(s) used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own. Source images are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge and are not posted to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original source material.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are encouraged to enter their best efforts even if this means replacing versions. Please do this by exchanging your latest effort with the image you wish to remove. You may note the replacement in a comment in the edited posting.
  • Entrants are also encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I should already be in bed sleeping, but I can't resist a challenge!
Used the 2 .ORF files and made TIF files in DxO to get lens correction.
The into Aurora HDR for a HDR of them.
Then some magic sauce! ;)
Entry #1:
PPC595B_DxO_Aurora_DxO_Web.jpg

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well I'm first off, as everyone is still in bed on the other side of the world. Just as I was about to post Bo jumped in before me!
#1.
PPC595A_edit.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
OK, the magic sauce is no secret, dodge and burn on the couple in the shadow area, then back to DxO to create a JPG.
For the B&W from the above, I also masked the sky and made it a little darker and used a control point on the couple in the shadows to lighten them a little.
Entry #2:
PPC595B_DxO_Aurora_DxO_Web_1.jpg

Sorry for spoiling it for you! @Robert Davidson (NOT! ;) )

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Beautiful scene with a story waiting to be told! I only had to tidy up a bit. Can't you just hear the conversation?
He: It's beautiful, isn't it.
She: Beautiful, yes, but we're still lost...

Used a single file, A. Exposure in Adobe Camera Raw.
Tidying in Photoshop.
A trip through Topaz Denoise AI followed by a trip through Topaz Sharpen AI

PPC595A.jpg

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
Another beautiful scene, and a hard challenge. Replaced entry posted originally. Opened both raw files in DxO PL2, used default noise reduction, then saved them as tiff files, which I then opened in Elements and combined them, then tweaked the resulting image.

Untitled-1_CombLL.jpg

Last edited:

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
Nice scene. Processed in LR6 to merge the two orfs. Some gradients and brushes to adjust tone and white balance.
PPC595Ae.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: Applied Fuji Provia film emulation (DxO FilmPack 5) to entry #1.

Untitled-1_CombLL_FujiProvia2.jpg

Last edited:

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Lovely scene. Normal adjustments in DxO PL2
PPC595B_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
Applied Nik HDR Effex to above
PPC595B_Nik_DxO.jpg

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
Opened in ACR, worked on opening up the shadows, some burning and dodging, a slight crop. I got rid of the wires and power poles. the sky was adjusted by increasing the blue.

PPC595A.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
It has been pretty quiet for a day. But have no fear . . . There is one entire day left!!

Plenty of time for you to create an entry (or two).

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
PPC595A.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
:crying: I have already done mine! Maybe I should create another account so I can have more entries in this challenge? :whistling:
Make another and see if you like it better than one you already posted. Do a simulated IR B&W. Replace the sky. Different crop. Warmer colors. Or cooler. Straighten it. Clone out power lines. Or clone in some more. Get rid of that annoying couple blocking the view. Lotsa options.

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Make another and see if you like it better than one you already posted. Do a simulated IR B&W. Replace the sky. Different crop. Warmer colors. Or cooler. Straighten it. Clone out power lines. Or clone in some more. Get rid of that annoying couple blocking the view. Lotsa options.
Or add a person standing on top of one of the highest rocks.

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
OK you inspired me to do another version. :p

This one is for the haters. Of powerlines. And for the lovers. Of eagles.

PPC595A2.jpg

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
All the entries were good. Nobody tried anything too avant-garde. The two things that most offended me in the original image were the power lines/pole/stays and the deep foreground shadows. And in the final analysis, I much preferred the entries which addressed those issues best. Not much more to say.

Winner: @Hendrik -- You got rid of the power lines and a bunch of other distractions, and made the image about the couple. Very nice job.
1st Runner-Up: @Rob Rider -- You left a smidgen of the top of the power pole, but I loved your colors, lifted shadows and local contrast enhancement.
2nd Runner-Up: Tie @Robert Davidson and @frankmulder #2 (with both bonus body and bird).

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Latest threads

Top Bottom