1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

6 months old E-PL1 worth it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Arminius, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Arminius

Arminius  

Jul 12, 2012
    Germany and England
    Johannes
    I have the offer from a friend of his E-PL1 with standard kit 14-42.

It is 6 months old and has nearly 2k actuations with all standard boxed items!

I was thinking of a very clever point and press for my wife that can then be also a second/backup body for me with my G3 and adapted lenses.

Do you think it is worth getting for that uses and is it worth the price?

€160 including PEN small bag and 1GB SD card.

JdP

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It is certainly an excellent camera and that's not an excessive number of shutter clicks. I can't comment on price as I'm used to dealing in dollars, but you can easily check prices on EBay for comparison. :smile:

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    U can pick up new one at the same price and even refurbished EPL2 or EPM1 , I won't buy EPL1 at this price .
    See this website please and they ship all over the world
    http://www.cameta.com/index.cfm?fa=...t ILC Digital Cameras&sort_by_field=Price:ASC

Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. Arminius

Arminius  

Jul 12, 2012
    Germany and England
    Johannes

5. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Ebay is a bewildering place sometimes - it's been possible, for the last few weeks, to get the E-PL1 brand new on the high street here in the UK for £199. Still, 160 euros seems fine to me, especially as you know its history and if you had a problem I'm sure you're friend would assist with any warranty issues.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love my E-PL1 except in low light. Not real impressed with the kit lenses though but they work OK for general use.

7. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I own the E-P1, E-PL1s (Japanese exclusive version of the E-PL1), E-P3, and E-PM1. They all produce "equivalent" image quality as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I'd stick to the E-PM1 if you're looking for the "best deal" in Olympus m4/3 cameras right now. The E-PM1 has faster autofocus, faster burst shooting, it doesn't have as much lag when shooting art filters, and it's more compact (particularly if you don't use the clip-on flash).

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  9. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    You can also try Olympus Market (Germany) on ebay - for an E-PL1 - they are classed as refurbished but are pretty much like new - mine had something like 40 shutter actuations and looked brand new.

Going rate at the moment seems to be around 125 euros / £100 body only and 200 euros / £155 with the 14-42:

E-PL1 | eBay UK

If you can stretch to £285 you can get a brand new E-PM1+14-42ii at Wex - similar picture quality but overall much nicer, smaller body, quicker AF, better kit lens etc plus being brand new you get full warranty etc.

10. jpil

jpil Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    +1