6 Lessons The Square Format Can Teach You About Composition

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    interesting read RT. thanks for the link. will this mean that instagram can save composition in photography?. not really cause most people still shoots with their phones seeing in 3:2 or 4:3 format rather than 1:1. anyway. fun!.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    There are several shots I have taken either with the intention to crop 1:1, or when viewing later, strike me as the perfect ratio. Not for everything, but for some, it just is amazing. Not sure how much I agree with the BW/square made for each other, but I understand why some people are fans.

3. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    That was certainly interesting and something I will work on soon.

Thanks, Dave

4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Having owned several TLR's (still have a Rolleicord III :) ) and used a number of other 6x6 cameras, I can easily say that's my favorite format. Shooting to the square is a challenge but one I find quite enjoyable.

One of the most enjoyable things about my little E-PL1 is the ability to set it to 6:6 & monochrome and go walkabout and shooting the equivalent of a dozen rolls of Plus-X 120.

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

6. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I think 1:1 (or 6:6 artisanal ;) ) is my favourite ratio; it's both very flexible but also constraining.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have always liked the square aspect ratio.

8. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Nice article.

Thanks for sharing.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting and worth trying. :cool:

10. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    It's good to see a photography related thread for a change! ;)

Thanks for sharing it with us.

11. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    If nothing else, square format is a very good exercise for composing. Back in my film days, I workd with medium format, and I loved the square, but truth be told, almost all prints ended up 3x4 or 4x5...

12. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Sidetrack a bit.

Anyone using Windows Phone know of any app that shoots in square aspect ratio?

13. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I didn't see this tread.

I just posted two 1:1 images in the street photography thread, and then saw this thread. My camera club just held its end of year competition which was judged by three commercial photographers. They pointed out that several of our shots would have been better if cropped at 1:1. It tightens up the image by getting rid of things that don't add a thing to your photograph. I had just gone through several years of work, and pulled out 250 +/_ shots to work on. They are my main subjects I like to shoot, people doing something. I had just posted these to my Photoshelter account, but after the club meeting, felt I needed to go through them again to see which ones might look better at 1:1. I was surprised at how many were really improved big time by this step. So, I down loaded the new cropped images and deleted the images that I had posted just this week.
    Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike