1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

6 days in Ladakh

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by robbie36, Sep 26, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Sun/moon rise/set

I just got back from a few days holiday in Ladakh. Ladakh is a Kashmiri province in northern India on the borders of Tibet and Pakistan.

My plan is to split this post into 6 parts to match the days (say 5 shots each) although I intend to post on themes rather than strict chronological order. I will readily admit that my first post of pics is not that exciting but it concerns a particular hobby of mine - moon and sun phases....

I recently posted on a thread here about how difficult it is to catch the moon rising when the sun is setting. This is tied to physics...

On the day of the full moon the moon will rise exactly opposite where the sun sets and the moon will rise at exactly the same time the sun sets. BY that I mean you will never catch the 2. The next day the sun will set at approximately the same time but the moon will rise 40 minutes later. That means there is a maximum of one day a month that you can catch the moon rising while the sun is setting - and that is one day before the full moon. Similarly there is only one potential day a month that you can catch a moon set at sun rise and that is the day after the full moon.

You obviously need perfectly clear skies, mountains help and a fair degree of luck. Moon sets are easier to capture than moon rises.

So here is sunset at Ladakh.....

Ladakh1_1_of_5_.

And here you can see the moon rising just as the sun sets. The two happened for around 7 minutes in total.

Ladakh1_2_of_5_.

The final photo of the moon rise was taken at 180mm (360 equiv with no more than 10% crop).

Ladakh1_3_of_5_.

The next shot is simply a photo of where I took the previous 3 shots the day before at sunset. You can see the morning shadow of the stupa in the rock face.

Ladakh1_4_of_5_.

Finally I have posted a slightly less successful photo trying to get the moon set just as the sun rises. An airforce helicopter buzzes over head but we see no light on the hills. There are 50,000 troops stationed in Ladakh protecting the Chinese and Pakistan borders. Leh airport I believe is the highest in the world.

Ladakh1_5_of_5_.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 21
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Absolutely stunning images Rob :2thumbs::2thumbs: Leh-Ladakh is such a beautiful place .
    Cheers

3. Love the rugged landscape. Looking forward to seeing more. Ladakh is on my sooner-rather-than-later travel list.

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ladakh 2

People 1

They are an interesting lot the people of Ladakh. Here is a bunch of people shots - the only thing they have in common is that there are 2 people in every photo.

This is a mother giving her kid water at a monastery where she works as a builder. Generally in Ladakh the women work while the men supervise.

Ladakh2_1_of_5_.

Two mates look down from a wall.

Ladakh21_4_of_5_.

Two monks on a wall.

Ladakh2111_2_of_5_.

Two road workers whose job it is to split rocks.

Ladakh21_5_of_5_.

A woman holding a prayer wheel which she rotates clockwise.

Ladakh21_3_of_5_.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  5. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    nice portraits, especially the closeups of two monks!

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    "2 mates from a wall" has exceptional lighting/color! The rock worker in the back...I don't know?

7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Incredible color in the people pictures.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ladakh 3

Bits and bobs....

Polo is a popular spectator sport

Ladakh3_5_of_5_.

Candles in a Ladakh monastery

Ladakh3_4_of_5_.

Electricity pylons are the most obvious feature on the rugged landscapes

Ladakh3_3_of_5_.

Lichen is one of the few things that grows so far above sea level - it forms on the side of rocks that faces away from the sun.

Ladakh3_2_of_5_.

A stupa reflected in the windows of a newly built building

Ladakh3_1_of_5_.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Beautiful sets, I really love the photos of the people. Excellent! :2thumbs:

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ladakh4

People 2

Ladakh4_4_of_5_. People 2

Ladakh4_5_of_5_.

Ladakh4_2_of_5_.

Ladakh4_1_of_5_.

Ladakh41_1_of_1_.

Ladakh42_1_of_1_.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  11. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Love the composition of the people shots. PP a little too heavy for me though:smile: