1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

5D MK IV is announced.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Speedliner, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Announced yesterday. It will be s popular camera of course, but it looks like a winner...30mp, the 1dx AF system, touchscreen, NFC...

Competition is good.

Look up your favorite reviewer for the details.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    30.4 megapixels hits a sweet spot for me. Still manageable in size yet a lot of pixels to work with when you need to crop.

I wont be getting one soon since I'd imagine the Canadian street price will be around $4500. I'll be picking up another 5d3......

• Like Like x 1
  3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    They seem to promote the Dual Pixel RAW feature as a "game changer". I find that amusing since it takes two pictures and lets you adjust (or choose?) the focus point in Canon's own software. Well... Pana & Oly has done that for ages and lets you even select the amount of pictures to choose from with their focus bracketing. And you don't need a specific software to do that. I bet Canon-fanboys will wet themselves because of this game changer... :rofl:

4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    With that price (I`n my country) it`s not a housing to buy without a lot of lenses.
    I could get one Oly 300 f4.0 and a EM1 cheaper then that house.

5. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    We'll have to see in the upcoming months of real world testing. Having 4k video and Canon's dual pixel technology is seriously nothing to laugh at. I think they've stole some of the C300 video tech and put it into the 5dmk4. Nothing on the market can touch Canon's dual pixel technology for run/gun video using AF. now that they've put it on a FF sensor body that's a serious must have for me. Low light video with all of my Canon L lenses.

If the Panny gh5 has similar AF technology I'd consider buying one. Low light video shooting will still not be it's strong suit.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You have to remember that the 4K in the 5DM4 has a 1.64x crop factor, so despite having a FF sensor, in video you're actually getting less than a S35 sensor. Also, it shoots in some funky format (motion JPG? Dafuq?). I remember watching the TCSTV comparison of the D5 and 1DX2, and they filled up a 64GB card with something like 6 minutes of 4K video. That's atrocious IMO.

IDK, which the AF support for Canon lenses on a body like the A7R2, I'd have a hard time picking a 5DM4 over that. Better video, IBIS, EVF, better sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    I was initially tempted to preorder..
    Im sure its an awsome camera.. now that theyve added dual pixel focus for video like that of thr 80d plus touchscreen and 4k i was really tempt3d (and i still might) to preorder...
    But .. one of the struggles ive been having with using the gx8 for 4k video is lack of UWA options, especially once thr 4k crop factor kicks in.. amd while it wont be as bad as m43 at 1.7.. still even a 16-35 wint be all that wide at all.

8. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    It is not taking two pictures. Each pixel is in reality built from two sub-pixels, which are normally used to provide phase-detection auto-focus in live-view or video. Normally, each pixel pair are combined when reading a raw file, but Canon are giving an option to get the full data out (ie 60MP, although the CFA is only 30MP). Allegedly this allows some Lytro-lite processing to be applied.

Canon's dual-pixel sensors are actually pretty cool...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    According to reports the 5DMkIV is 1.74 crop

Philip Bloom

✔@PhilipBloom
    1.74x crop in 4K on the Canon 5Dmkiv? Well that’s a bit poo isn’t it? Hopefully the MK V in 2020 will be full frame​

10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I thought it was 1.64x, but 1.74x is even worse! Using a 16-35, it ends up being a 28mm on the wide end. Meanwhile, a 7-14 on a GH4 yields a 16mm FoV on the wide end.

I'm not gonna lie, that could seriously kill the 5DM4. With as popular as the 5D series has been for video, I'm pretty surprised at this. Why would anybody get this over something like an A7R2 or A7S2, especially considering the fact that Sony can now use Canon lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    DPR is stating 1.64. But the odd thing is 4K is motionJPEG only, and can only be recorded to CF cards.

I don't get it personally. There is so much competition why hobble the camera. They can't be expecting an ML hack [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I've seen both 1.64 and 1.74 listed. Either way, it's pretty unacceptable for a brand-new, $3500+ camera. 16mm in 4K becomes 26mm, which still makes it useless for any UWA shooting. Couple that with motion JPEG as the file type, and it just makes no sense.

Shitty 4K crop, shitty 4K file type, no 25p 4K (sorry for all you PAL-country residents out there!), and 1080p only goes to 60p?

This thing is a complete turd from a video perspective.

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Also, if the video is so crappy on this, and it renders it as basically a stills-only camera, why then hell would you buy this over a 5DS or 5DSr?

14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    It doesn't matter. Canon will sell a sh*t ton of these.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice, but I'm a Nikon guy when it comes to DSLRs. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The AF is a huge win for a wedding or event photographer. And 30MP is more than they will ever need. For landscape 5DS for sure.

17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think AF is the biggest improvement, as Canon's Dual Pixel AF is admittedly very very good. But other things that people are excited about just kind of make me laugh when you step back and think that this a $3500 camera, that has just been released in 2016:
    • A touchscreen (we've had those for YEARS in m43).
    • Built-in Wifi (again, we've had that for YEARS in m43).
    • Toting 120fps video, despite it being only 720p (my GH4 that was released OVER TWO YEARS AGO has 96fps 1080p).
    • No banding when lifting the shadows (seriously? I thought that was one of the biggest points for getting a FF camera was to improve dynamic range. Banding in shadows for a FF camera is simply unacceptable, so touting this as a "plus" is pretty funny).
    • 4K video (1.64x or 1.74x crop, whatever it is, it's rubbish. As is the codec it records in, which only allows something like 6 minutes of 4K footage on a 64GB card)
    • 7fps! (Again, both my GH4 and E-M1 can beat this)
    For people who already have a substantial investment in Canon glass, I guess this is a decent upgrade? I just don't see $3500 worth of value here though. Many of our m43 cameras that we have today which have been released for quite some time already have the majority of these features included in this "update". I think the problem I have is that this camera likely won't be until 2020 (4 year upgrade cycle on the 5D series is pretty typical), yet Canon has really done nothing truly innovative to future-proof this camera. Sure, it's a good competitor when comparing it to what's on the market today. But how will it look when the next FF Nikon comes out? Or the Mk III series of Sony A7 cameras? I just see this camera aging very quickly in terms of features, since there don't appear to be any real "WOW" features IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    It's apparently already Amazon's biggest selling camera.

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If course it is. Becuz Sheeple...

Could you imagine if Olympus released a camera that had CDAF AND PDAF, could shoot 7fps, had a touch screen, wifi, shoot 60fps 1080p video AND 30p 4K video (at a terrible crop, using an embarrassingly inefficient codec), that didn't band the shadows when editing the image? Man, now THAT would be an amazing camera. I'd pay, like, thousands and thousands of dollars for such an advanced piece of imaging equipment.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Careful what you wish for.
    Maybe Oly starts with a red ring on their future pro zooms, so they can raise the price.

• Like Like x 1