1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

58mm Filters on Olympus 12-40 PRO?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ijm5012, Apr 8, 2016.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Has anyone attempted to use 58mm filters on the Olympus 12-40 PRO? I'm aware that it takes a 62mm filter, but I currently own a Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 along with the 35-100 f/2.8, so I've accumulated a fair number of 58mm filters (variable ND, different strength ND, CPL, etc.). I'm interested in trading the 12-35 for the 12-40 for its stepless aperture in video as well as its manual focus clutch, but I don't want to have to go and buy a whole new series of filters.

Looking at the 12-40, there is a fair amount of "real estate" between the outer edge of the element, and the filter threads, certainly a difference greater than 4mm in diameter. I am wondering if anyone has attempted to put a 62>58mm step-down ring on the 12-40 PRO and use filters on it?

My main concern is vignetting at max aperture, so anyone that could chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... nope .... you need 62mm to prevent vignetting .....

• Like Like x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Bummer to hear that, but thanks for chiming it.

4. gr8five

gr8five Guest

I have the step down ring and filters but haven't tried them out yet. Im still trying to get familiar with the camera.

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Probably true for an off-the-shelf ring.
    However, if you have access to a lathe, you can turn the ring down to just give you a few threads of engagement.
    Once on the lens it becomes pretty much a permanent installation. It's actually below the rim of the lens. I added a couple of notches to be able to remove the ring, but in practice I never do.
    This setup does not vignette even when used with a fairly thick polarizing filter at 12 mm.
    Rudy

6. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    62_to_58mm_stepdown (1 of 3).jpg 62_to_58mm_stepdown (2 of 3).jpg 62_to_58mm_stepdown (3 of 3).jpg
    In case someone was wondering what my adapter ring looks like.
    As you can see it does not extend out beyond the existing threads.
    There are four notches so the ring can be screwed on and off using a spanner.
    I would recommend a brass ring. Mine is aluminum which is a bit sticky.
    Rudy