1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

58mm filter on the Oly 12-40mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by charleychen, Dec 2, 2013.

1. charleychen

charleychen Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2012
    New York
    I have a bunch of 58mm filter/polarizer that is used by the Pan 35-100, Oly 75-300, 14-150 and the 75. I also have the Xume adapters, so I can change the filters quickly. The 12-40mm has a 62mm filter which creates a wrinkly my filter sharing strategy. If I use a stepdown adapter from 62-58mm and continue to use the 58mm, would it cause a problem? It looks like the glass doesn't cover the whole 62mm, so I have some room to work with. I'm trying to avoid to cost of buy new filters, plus Xume doesn't have adapters for the 62mm, so I would have to keep screwing the filters on and off, which is a pain.

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I would not expect that you could use a 58mm filter on a 62mm lens without some image loss. But, tell me about your experience with Xume adapters. I'd never heard of them.

3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I'm in the same boat, having some pretty nice 58mm filters. I bought a 62 to 58 step down ring and while it obviously works mechanically it also moves the filter out too far and causes vignetting at the wide end of the zoom range (12-13mm).
    I then put the adapter on a lathe to turn down some of the excess material. You basically need to have the adapter disappear into the existing filter ring of the lens so that it does not protrude. A single filter will then no longer vignette on the lens even at 12 mm.
    Rudy

4. charleychen

May 13, 2012
    New York
    The Xume adapters is basically a magnetic coupling between the filter and the lens. It allows quick removal of filter and the magnet is strong enough that my filter only fell off once by accident because someone ran into my camera.

• Like Like x 2
  5. charleychen

May 13, 2012
    New York
    thanks for the info. I think I'm going to just order a step down filter and see how it works. It only cost a few bucks and it's better than spending over $100 on filters.

6. tyrepeddler

tyrepeddler Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    Phoenix Az
    Jim
    You bought a $1000 lens that is really good why use a step down filter that is going to degrade your picture to save a few dollars just my feeling.

7. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    If you get the correct step down filter then it won't be vignetting and therefore not degrading your image.
    If you don't already have 58mm filters, then of course by all means get the correct 62 mm filters.
    The problem is, that I could not find an adapter shallow enough.
    I do however have a lathe and was able to solve the problem by turning down the adapter, so that it does not extend out more than the existing set of threads.
    Rudy

8. charleychen

May 13, 2012
    New York
    I just received my step down adapter. It vignettes at 12-13mm... I think if I can find a thinner adapter, that should do the trick. My adapter is about 7mm thick. The good thing is, since I have the xume, I can just take it off when I shoot at 12-13, slight draw back, but for now I can live with it.

tyre... It's partially about the money, but it's also about convenience. With the 58mm, I can use my xume adapters, it's like quick release filters. Have you tried to screw off a thin polarizer in a hurry? Not fun and quite time consuming sometimes, if it's screwed on too tight.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Off-topic...but damn, those Xume filter adapters look awesome!!! I only really use one filter (a variable ND filter), usually when I travel, and it gets annoying taking it on/off all the time, plus, I worry that one bad move and I'll obliterate the plastic filter threads on the lens!

GAH! I just noticed they don't make it in 52mm flavour :(

10. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I have to admit that the Xume adapter idea looks awesome. Just wish they had more Micro 4/3-friendly sizes.

11. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Buy a 62mm filter do things right !!!

12. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I've got a set of 58mm xume adaptor and they work great when using my heliopan variable nd filter when switching to shooting video.

The only negative is that the xume adapters twist freely as well as the variable nd or polorizer which makes it tricky to do one handed.