1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

580EXII Flash with EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by doodalon, Sep 25, 2012.

1. doodalon

doodalon Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    I have a 580EXII flash from my previous canon set up and the EM-5 is my first m43/Oly camera. I want to use the flash as an off camera set up, but not really sure what I would need. I have the wireless trigger for the 580EXII, the Canon ST-E2, but the sync of when I take a picture to when the trigger and flash fire, are almost over a second. I'm shooting at 1/60th but the flash is more like 1" and not really sure how to set the flash to fire faster in slave mode with the wireless trigger (guess this wont be possible with it being all canon gear?)

Would the easiest way of getting off camera flash with this set up to buy a PC adaptor + cord?

Something like this? Hama 6952 Flash Adapter Contact Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Would the flash work in the same way as if it were mounted in this case? Any help on what I would need to buy to make it work would be great.

2. TDP

TDP Guest

I use a wireless transmitter and 2 receivers for my EM5 and 2 580s.

3. TDP

TDP Guest

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    First, DON'T use the Canon flash equipment on your Olympus...it can damage the camera and/or flash due to incompatible TTL voltages.

Secon, Canon & and Olympus TTL signals are not compatible. You have to run the flash off camera with the flash set to manual or auto modes, or cover up the TTL pins and run the flash on camera again in manual or auto modes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. doodalon

doodalon Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks for that, I've been using the flash with covered up pins on the hotshoe to test, but I need to do some studio work and need off camera flash, but unsure of what I need to buy to get it running. Would anyone have any suggestions to what to buy? I don't quite have the budget to get the Flash Wave triggers that TDP showed.. but would like a cheaper alternative, though don't know which would work (unless they all do?)

6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Cowboystudio NPT-04 costs about $30 at Amazon and includes one transmitter and two receivers for two off-camera flashes. It won't do TTL, but that isn't generally a problem.

7. TDP

TDP Guest

30 bucks for a 2 gun wireless rig and you can return them if they arrive DOA....sounds like a good deal to me.

2 universal translators and a cable will cost about the same. Of course they don't need batteries and will probably never fail you, but on the other hand no one has ever tripped over an RF signal ;)

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Where are you getting this about the voltages? We're talking about the Canon Speedlite 580EX II, not some 1980s flashgun... but then again I know nothing about the TTL voltages, I know about trigger voltages.

I use the 580 EX II with a Paul C Buff Cybersync, but I also used a TTL cable with my GX1, of course the flash only in manual mode, or the flash metering itself to try it out(from the custom menu).

To OP, I also used a hotshoe PC-Sync adapter from Pixel like this. You'll probably also want the screwlock PC Sync cable.

This hotshoe is also useful for other things, such as triggering the 580 EX II over PC Sync through the hotshoe if you'd like to use it as a wireless master. As you may or may not know, if you trigger the 580 EX II over its own pc sync port it will not work as a wireless master.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I know about unsafe trigger voltage flashes (I have a closet full of them since I've been photogrphing since the 70's). No, what I'm talking about is unsafe TTL contacts (the additional contacts on the flash foot).

When connecting Canon to Olympus you may be connecting an output to an output, you may be connecting a pin that has both positive and negative volages (in respect to ground) while the receiving contact only expects positive voltages...TTL pins aren't documented.

At best it will confuse the devices, at worse it will damage them!

It's better to be safe than sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Well actually at best it will behave as expected, at worst it will damage something.

I haven't had any problems with them so far, but since I know no better I will not advise people to use what I use with TTL cables. Someone with a multimeter can tests what voltages go through the other pins.

Using the hotshoe with a screwlock PC sync cable is of course not affected by all of this.

11. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I use a set of Cactus v5's with my m43's and my 580EXII and 550EX's in manual mode. Works a treat.

I've found off-camera TTL flash (using the little flash that comes with the OM-D as the controller and a Metz 50 AF-1), to be wildly inaccurate and mostly unusable.

Hope this helps,

Colin

12. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Is there an equivalent cable to do this exact job? I really don't need wireless, just something like 6 ft. I have a 580 EX ii and an EP1. Thanks!

13. Ozludo

Ozludo New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia