580 EX ii with my EP1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by crashwins, Sep 26, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    So, I used this flash a few times on my EP1 in manual mode without any hitches. I know the voltage could be a little dangerous so I'm backing off. What I want to is use this flash with my EP1 and Lumix L1 with a hot shoe cable. I assume if the flash works on camera, there must be a cable that will work (preferably with the contact points that won't damage the camera). I'm thoroughly lost on finding such a cable - does anyone have any ideas!? Thanks so much

2. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Nothing? :(

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Qld Australia
    Maria
    I have heard that the canon flash cord works on the olympus but not sure. If you have one it might pay to give it a try or borrow one for the experiment. As you are only using manual it might pay to tape all but the centre pin.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Most people probably missed your thread because they thought it was the one with almost the SAME QUESTION that was posted a day earlier than yours, except with a different Olympus body (the answers are the same by the way):

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/580exii-flash-em-5-a-33767/

Always search the forum before posting a new message.

5. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    BTW, since Panasonic has the same flash socket as Olympus, what I said in that EM5 thread goes for Panasonic cameras as well.

7. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Great, thanks for the info. I discovered that thread before I posted, but didn't know the EM5 was also an Olympus camera.

Does the same rule apply for the Canon 420EX flash? I'm looking to pick up some of the CowboyStudio receiver/transceivers - looks like an inexpensive way to explore strobing a bit. Thanks!