1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

580 EX ii with my EP1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by crashwins, Sep 26, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    So, I used this flash a few times on my EP1 in manual mode without any hitches. I know the voltage could be a little dangerous so I'm backing off. What I want to is use this flash with my EP1 and Lumix L1 with a hot shoe cable. I assume if the flash works on camera, there must be a cable that will work (preferably with the contact points that won't damage the camera). I'm thoroughly lost on finding such a cable - does anyone have any ideas!? Thanks so much

2. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Nothing? :(

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I have heard that the canon flash cord works on the olympus but not sure. If you have one it might pay to give it a try or borrow one for the experiment. As you are only using manual it might pay to tape all but the centre pin.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Most people probably missed your thread because they thought it was the one with almost the SAME QUESTION that was posted a day earlier than yours, except with a different Olympus body (the answers are the same by the way):

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/580exii-flash-em-5-a-33767/

Always search the forum before posting a new message.

5. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    BTW, since Panasonic has the same flash socket as Olympus, what I said in that EM5 thread goes for Panasonic cameras as well.

7. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Great, thanks for the info. I discovered that thread before I posted, but didn't know the EM5 was also an Olympus camera.

Does the same rule apply for the Canon 420EX flash? I'm looking to pick up some of the CowboyStudio receiver/transceivers - looks like an inexpensive way to explore strobing a bit. Thanks!