$58.95 SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 (30MB/s) 32GB

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by youry, Sep 2, 2011.

1. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    • Like Like x 2
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    2 16gb cards (the same class 10 extreme 30mb/s) will run you $62.98 as well, quite a good deal!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Great price! I'm always afraid of using these big SD cards (or any memory cards). The bigger they are, I'm more prone to letting the files sit on them for a while. Running the risk of losing them if something goes wrong.

32gb SD card would be great as additional storage room for laptop users.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I agree, unless you shoot video the 16gb cards are the smarter option - same price/mb and if you lose one or it gets corrupted you'll be losing less images as a result of the failure in the field. For me 8gb cards are even enough, but at 2/$40 (and slower cards) they are not near the deal of the 16/32 cards linked above!

5. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Indeed, many professionals use only 4 GB cards because of the possibility of the card "crumping". (Most of them have had it happen.) That way you do not lose an entire shoot or a huge portion of it.

6. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    I have no idea how many pro's you know for real but I have at least 4 friends making a living with a camera and none of them would ever consider using a 4GB card. They only shoot raw whe a file is close to 50MB. That's about 80 pictures, or 8 seconds continous shooting on a 4GB card at 10 fps.
    At a recent gathering they were talking about 64GB UH-something cards. Go figure!
    Btw: in eight years of using memory cards I've never had or heard of any failures. True, I've only used the best.

7. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    I can not say that I know a statistically significant number of professional photographers, but the matter in question is one of risk. If you use one large card for an assignment or a large portion of it and it fails for some reason...that is not good.

I don't know what your acquaintances are shooting that has 50 MB RAW files and can shoot 10 frames per second for 8 seconds. (You've got me curious.)

If I recall correctly, a D3 will shoot just under 200 RAW files on a 4 GB card. If you have the second card set up as overflow then that is, in effect, 8 GB before you are empty, though most people would probably swap out the full one during a lull in the shooting rather than waiting for both of them to be full.

No matter the exact size of the image files, RAW files will fill a card up quickly.

All devices can fail. That is why most people try to have a backup camera available in addition to the convenience of having it set up, ready to go, with a different lens.

First quality cards are a given. I got a premium quality 32 GB card earlier this year. It failed on its first use which was just an afternoon of shooting of no particular importance. I was ultimately able to manually recover most of the images even though all of the recovery software was unable to do so. Apparently there was a problem at a point on the card that stopped the recovery software dead in its tracks. The only other "card failure" I have personally encountered wasn't really a card failure. The battery in the camera gave out in the process of saving a file. When I replaced the battery, the camera was unable to use that card because of the corruption of the image file that was not completely written when the lights went out. Those images were easily recovered, but had I been without another card I would have been out of luck. Things happen.

As files do become larger, the strategy will, no doubt change with the circumstance, but there is always the risk of equipment failure.

All that said, I have a number of 8 & 16 GB cards which I will continue to use, but there is always a risk in using larger cards.

I am glad you have not had the unpleasant experience of a card dying on you.

Cheers

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    geezes, what are they shooting with?

Personally, I don't like shooting with more than 4GB with a ~12MP camera that does 14bit color. That's about my threshold of "eggs in one basket" comfort. But I could just as easily buy multiple 8GB cards and not fill them, but have them just in case. They aren't that much more than 4GB (at least, the not-extreme stuff).

Though, right now, I'm debating getting transcends or sandisks, heh. I've seen them all fail so not sure if the extra cost is worth it.

9. Pen F

Pen F Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    I know it happens, but personaly I have never seen a card fail. I also dont know any pro shooters so cant ask. Does anyone know the failure % rate. Just courious? Also I get 542 pics in RAW with an 8 gig card. Enough eggs in one basket as far as I'm concerned.