1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shootout 56mm 1.4, 45mm 1.8, 35-100 bg blur test

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by tkbslc, Mar 29, 2019.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Well work got cancelled due to a freak spring snow storm and power outages, so I'm just at home playing around with my lenses. Decided to try a bg blur test with my "portrait" lenses. I have kids, so I just used what was available to me, with stuffed animals as the bokeh target. :) 

This is 30% view and exif is tagged in each. First is a test with a close background (about .5m behind book). Second is a more distant target (about 4m behind book). Wanted to try something outdoors, and maybe real portraits - but like I said, the weather sucks.

As this is indoors, you can see the exposure differences between them in the EXIF, too. F2.8 zoom at a major disadvantage. (And the -2/3 Ex Comp was an accident). I did the 35-100mm both at a similar length to the primes, and then at a bit longer length to try to make up for slower aperture. Still no contest vs the 56mm, though.

BGBlurTest1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    BGBlurTest2.jpg

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    No big surprises. You don't need to apologize for the 35-100 though. It's not bad, just can't hang with the primes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

One more. I was hoping forhighlight " bokeh balls", but they are kind of hard to see (lamp and blinds at right). All of these lenses seem to have really smooth bokeh.

BGBlurTest3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

One more non-perfect comparison when I was out with the kids tonight. The Olympus really holds it's own against the Sigma. The difference in blur seems mostly down to the perspective compression. I didn't get a close enough shot from the 35-100 to include it. I will say with tracking the kids around at dusk, the Olympus and Sigma had no problem nailing every shot while the 35-100 missed every other shot.

Love these primes - getting very high shutter speeds (maybe too high on Sigma shot as it's under exposed) and still at base ISO after the sun is down! :) 

BGBlurTest5.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.