Featured Forum Thread: 'E-P5: The Overlooked Olympus' by Uncle Frank

ivoire

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
mike
I've had the Zuiko Digital 70-300 with the EC-14 teleconverter on the camera quite a bit lately, and it focuses much faster with the E-P5 than any of my other m43 bodies. The only issue it that there is enough lens mass being through around that it runs the battery down fairly quickly.

How is the IQ at the long end of that lens? I may be able to pick one up for about $200

dejongj

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jean-Paul
Only just now saw the OP's post. Well done a nicely written and supported post.

I had my E-P5 since it was launched in the UK, I actually pre-ordered it....And a year on I still absolutely love the camera...I surprised myself with how much I use the rear screen as a waist level view finder. The size and looks are brilliant, and it encourages me to have it with me nearly all the time. And ultimately the best camera is the one you've got with you...

It was my first step into m43 as well, and I'm impressed with the great quality of the lenses as well. Both the 17mm f1.8 and 35-100 f2.8 have a near permanent fixture.

But I like that this camera is our little secret :)

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
How is the IQ at the long end of that lens? I may be able to pick one up for about $200

It's pretty good for what I'm doing with it.

10155202_849281011755031_2611053249285436939_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10151301_864120016937797_7546260072480048906_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E-P5 with Zuiko Digital 70-300mm and EC-14 teleconverter at 425mm, f/8, 1/320 sec, ISO 200

ivoire

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
mike

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Just ordered a silver E-P5 as a backup body for my E-M5 to take on an upcoming trip to Europe.

Before somebody tells me that I should be using the E-M5 as the backup instead, I won't argue. :smile: It looks like a nice camera, particularly since they're very well priced in Australia at the moment. It also uses the same battery as the E-M5 which made the decision easier.

I couldn't afford the kit with the 17mm and VF4 since I'd already used most of my "discretionary funds" on a 12-40. (which is a shame because the kit's an ever bigger bargain.) Since I never compose on the LCD, this is going to be a learning experience. Switching between the different control layouts is going to be interesting as well.

Might hang my Sigma 60 off the front for a bit more reach than the 12-40 on the E-M5.

Looking forward to posting some images.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've been running an E-P5 as a backup/smaller camera to my E-M5 for a few months now, but despite the E-P5 being a fantastic camera (in some ways it betters the M5), I've decided to "swap" the P5 for an M1. The reason is the EVF. Using the LCD is great for high & low level shooing, but for me, I can't get used to holding the camera out in front of me. I bought the VF4 of course, but it's fiddly to fit and when fitted the overall camera is bigger and more fragile than the M5.

I also realised that the M5 without the grip is within a gnat's whisker of the P5 in size. So, I considered another M5 but then I liked the improved controls of the P5, the 1/8000 shutter speed, and most importantly the size and quality of the VF4. So, the obvious thing was to replace my M5 with the M1 and the P5 with the M5.

I'll miss the P5's exquisite build and form factor, but that EVF is just too important for me.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
When we booked our trip, I decided that I didn't want to carry my D7000 around, so I decided to buy a small camera. I tried an RX100 in the shop but wasn't happy without a viewfinder. This eventually led to the E-M5.

So now I've done a u-turn and given up the viewfinder. I practised with the E-M5 with a neck strap and the LCD tilted up and it seemed to work better than holding the camera out in front.

So we'll see how it goes.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
After today the EP5 is just about perfect IMHO. It will be interesting if the update stimulates interest in thIS gem of a camera.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Continuing the discussion from the E-P5 Image thread...

where I mentioned that I was struggling to compose on the lcd in bright sunlight. I weakened and bought a VF-4 this morning.

Isn't it a nice EVF? I was and still am perfectly happy with the EVF in my E-M5 but this is a significant improvement. I also noticed (accidentally) that if I press the play button and put my eye up to the viewfinder, I can review the image there instead of on the lcd. I think you can do that with the E-M5 but it's not so convenient.

As zensu said in the other thread, I'm a bit concerned that I'll now prefer this camera to the E-M5. (But the 12-40 might look a bit out of proportion on the E-P5 so it can stay on the E-M5.)

I was reading a thread on DPR where some E-M1 owners had suffered EVF damage, apparently (perhaps) due to exposure to the sun. One poster was complaining that there should have been a warning if this were the case. Well, there is - the manuals for the E-M5, E-P5 and VF-4 all warn against allowing the sun to enter through the eyepiece. I'm presuming/hoping that it means not to let the sun directly shine into the eyepiece and for more than just a fleeting moment. (It also warns against carrying the camera by the viewfinder :rolleyes:)

Latest threads

Top Bottom