52mm ND-grad filter $12 at Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by jimr.pdx, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I know this can be done in post processing, but then all I'd learn is computer stuff. One of the things I really like about :43: is the real-time viewfinders on my G1/GH1, so I had been thinking of getting one so I could see the effect in real time. However, I didn't want to pay much for the learning experience -this certainly qualifies! It's pretty strongly dark & sharply graded in the image.. but that too will facilitate learning. It qualifies for free shipping if you buy more stuff; sadly, I had no problem doing that. :eek: 

cheap ND grad filter

It's possible to spend $70 on a really good brand, but my curiosity will be satisfied with this one. Mine will arrive soon; I hope skies are less grey by then, otherwise it will be hard to see much being neutralized! :smile:

2. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I bought a 10 Step B&W ND filter off amazon for i think like $40? The idea behind having that much of a drop in light is you can have your shutter open for a long time in bright light without over exposing your picture.. this makes for dreamy pictures where all that is in motion is a blur and still objects stay sharp. Use a tripod when doing this effect.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I had pretty bad luck with cheaper Tiffen ND8 filter (~$16), color shift and slight orange cast and flare with 20mm lens. I got Marumi instead: Amazon.com: Marumi 52mm DHG Light Control 8 ND8 52 ND Filter Japan: Electronics
    I think havng multicoated and high quality is essential though. Various Marumi and Hoya filters have been tested independently by various labs so at least I know what I am getting.

4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    test results

I expect a picky person would see this is a cheap ND-grad, but for me its results are acceptable. I posted a few shots & thoughts on my blog.

Look here under headings "graduation!" and "graduation part 2".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.